Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I've got a 05 GL1800. My helmet is a Nolan N103, wife's a modular full face. I'll want to talk to her...(thru intercom?) ...listen to music (iPod) or radio on bike. Is all this possible and thru what devices? One I saw says, we could do this Bluetooth? With answering phone also? But, lately I've read so much...not sure which device. Lastly, ...with wife's it would have to be clamped on somehow? Help.... Oh...no CD player or cb on bike.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I think J&M will have the headsets that you want. I think that the intercom is in the radio. Check with J&M as they will have the answers.
Bill

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
J&M headsets for basic communication, plus an interface for iPhone etc. Kennedy used to make lots of interfaces but I'm not sure if they are still in business.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
I'm using the Scala units. They are Bluetooth, do intercom and interbike, phone, have their own radio and can wire connect to non-bluetooth devices.

If you go that route, check out useing them like you ride: with gloves on. I'd have gone one step up in model if I did that since some of the controls on my set are tough to use with heavy gloves.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Like others have said, J&M headsets for both of your helmets.

If your Wing does not have a built in Honda GPS, then a really good solution for integrating a cell phone is to buy and mount a portable GPS with Bluetooth capability.

Of course you have to get a GPS that can have its audio output brought in through the bike's audio unit AUX input, which just means that the GPS you buy must have an audio out, like a headphone out jack.

Of course, any motorcycle-specific GPS units like the Garmin Zumo units come with all of the necessary connectors for integrating everything. They are expensive though.

That said, some portable GPS units designed for cars do have a headphone out jack, and that will work. You'll need some RAM mounts to mount the GPS to your bike.

Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
You have to listen to them when you're stopped.....why do you want to hear them when you're riding????

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Depends whether you want to be wired or wireless. We chose wireless. My wife and I use Sena SMH10 bluetooth intercoms. Have had them for a couple of years now and I really like them. Easy to pair up together, and easily paired to our phones. I just purchased their SM10 dual bluetooth adapter and cable to plug into the bikes sound system. We should be able to listen to the bike audio, talk to each other and answer calls (her). I don't have a CB (yet) so that isn't a concern. My brother and my son both have Sena's as well and bike to bike is great - good range (1/3 mile at least, with line of sight). A charge lasts a full day (greater than 10hrs) with intercom paired. I'm guessing it might be less with music going, but I won't know until this snow disappears. Pete at BikeMP3 is also working on using Sena's SM10 and SR10 together to get CB connected as well which will be great if I ever decide to buy one.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Communicating

Thanks all: with Sena....I would need 2ea. Bluetooth intercoms, and SM10 dual Bluetooth adapters and cables? With Scala...this sounds like everything in one? How bout install to helmets? JM...I'll check.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use the J & M Bluetooth.

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JMDM-IPBT-GL18

It has and does all through existing system. If you already have intercom headsets then this unit adapts to it. Your phone connects via Bluetooth so no additional set up required. It also has CF card to play music from, and capable from playing of playing from USB stick. The intercom plays through system as well.

Wing stuff sells it for for $240. Caught mine from them on sale for $180 .

http://wingstuff.com/products/32912-gl1800-bluetooth-cell-gps-mp3-music-player-ipod?from_search=1

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Thanks all: with Sena....I would need 2ea. Bluetooth intercoms, and SM10 dual Bluetooth adapters and cables? With Scala...this sounds like everything in one? How bout install to helmets? JM...I'll check.
No, with the Sena you buy a dual set of SMH10's for two helmets - you can pick that up online for around $280. That gets you intercom and phone pairing (each headset can pair to it's own phone) and/or bluetooth MP3. If you want to hear bike audio you can buy one SM10 which will transmit bike audio (in stereo) to both headsets.

I have nothing against Scala - by all accounts it's an equally great system but I think a little more expensive. I just think Sena, being an offshoot of a larger bluetooth technology corporation is pushing the bluetooth envelope a little farther. I believe you can use Sena's SM10 with any bluetooth headset, not just theirs.

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
You could get a car. Or email.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sena vs Scala vs J&M

Great stuff...I'll be checking these systems out. Next month International Motorcycle Show will be in town....while snow and cold...good time to shop. Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.