Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to replace the auxiliary plug cord on my GL1800 (2003) I don't get stereo when playing my mp3 player just the right speakers.

can someone tell me how to remove the pocket so I can check the connection?

Thank you

Bill

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
on each corner you will find a round black plug, push the center circle in with a key or any thing small and the plug will pop up. carefull not to loose the center stem as it is a two piece plug. to reinstall the center stem should be pulled up, reinsert plug, push center down to lock. ( just learned from experience and had to buy some new plugs as i lost the insert on one).

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
also , welcome to the forum!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I have seen a lot of fasteners like that on ner cars holding the radiator guard and such.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Could be the jack on the player is NG, try using another one.

If you don't have another player shoot the plug with a little electrical contact cleaner and cycle it a few times in and out of player. A little brake cleaner will work in a pinch. It may or may not work but try another player BEFORE replacing cord.

DeOxit though is the BEST stuff going.:)

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
You might also check and be sure the plug is fully seating in your MP3 player. If you have not, fully check the cord end and MP3 hole, and/or try a different set of headphones and see how the sound is.
I had one that the internals were moving a bit and the plug, though appearing fully seated, did not make full contact because the player guts moved inward a bit under pressure.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
on each corner you will find a round black plug, push the center circle in with a key or any thing small and the plug will pop up. carefull not to loose the center stem as it is a two piece plug. to reinstall the center stem should be pulled up, reinsert plug, push center down to lock. ( just learned from experience and had to buy some new plugs as i lost the insert on one).

Also you have to remove the trim strip, start at the bottom pulling slightly to the outside and up then gently work it back and forth while pulling up to release the hooks. You don't want to push the pins in the clips down very far to release them, just about 1/8" so you don't push the pin out the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW Thank YOU

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Glad to be here. Of course it has now been raining here so all I do is sit an look at the trike in the garage and sigh :sadguy:

Bill

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Also you have to remove the trim strip, start at the bottom pulling slightly to the outside and up then gently work it back and forth while pulling up to release the hooks. You don't want to push the pins in the clips down very far to release them, just about 1/8" so you don't push the pin out the bottom.

Dave you are absolutely correct about how far down to push the pins. If you loose one most of the local motorcycle shops carry compatible replacements.

However it is not necessary to remove the trim strip. Simply pressing in the 4 retaining pins will release the pocket and you can lift it out of its hole. Remove the pins first or you stand a good chance of loosing one.

I second the effort to use a different MP3 player to first troubleshoot your problem. If you find the cable is bad you can either get one from Honda or from a 3rd party like Cyclemax. Or just do a search on GL1800 Aux Wiring.

Henry

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Be careful using brake cleaner it contains ascetone and can be very abrasive and will eat some plastics and rubber

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts

However it is not necessary to remove the trim strip. Simply pressing in the 4 retaining pins will release the pocket and you can lift it out of its hole. Remove the pins first or you stand a good chance of loosing one.

Henry
I never could get mine out with the trim in place. Thought I could, tried it and couldn't, forgot and tried it again and still couldn't.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:billtcat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lost the trim strip

Dave you are absolutely correct about how far down to push the pins. If you loose one most of the local motorcycle shops carry compatible replacements.

I second the effort to use a different MP3 player to first troubleshoot your problem. If you find the cable is bad you can either get one from Honda or from a 3rd party like Cyclemax. Or just do a search on GL1800 Aux Wiring.

Henry
I lost the left trim strip you are referring to. Have any idea where I can find it in stock black? I am exhausted just from looking for one.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.