1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone
GL1800 2007

I'm pretty sure , that before when I was using the remote to unlock and lock the light was flashing , but few weeks ago the lights was not flashing anymore .

but now it is even worst , when I press lock , unlock , open truck and even CALL ...nothing happen .

I have change the battery same issue ...nothing

any suggestion where I should begin my trouble shooting

Thank you
have a great day

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

If the led in the remote comes on when you push a button try reprogramming the remote, if the led doesn't come on you need a new remote.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the exact same problem I have with mine. I had the bike in the shop for something or the other last year and had them check it out for me while it was there. The unit was receiving the signal, but the unit itself was bad. Soooo I figured I could use the money elsewhere and just manually unlock and open the trunk and bags. lol I would occasionaly find a unit on ebay, but so far have not gotten around to getting one.

Good luck with it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The unit that receives the signal from the remote is in the trunk lid. That's probably what is faulty.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The unit that receives the signal from the remote is in the trunk lid. That's probably what is faulty.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

This will be better posted in the technical forum, or moved there if possible.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

is there a way to test at home the receiver unit ?
other then

">TEST # 1[/b]
I pulled the fuse box cover (underneath the left hand side cover) and pulled out the fuse marked Leave it out for at least 60 minutes.
Put the fuse back in and try the remote.

TEST # 2
How to program the remote key fob To program it
1. turn the key on-within 1 to 5 seconds point the remote at the trunk and push the trunk open key, then within 1 to 5 seconds turn off the ignition key.
2. repeat #1
3. repeat #1
4. repeat #1 except this time do not turn off the ignition switch. Hit the button again and it will program itself. Turn the key off and test it.

TEST # 3
1. check remote for water leakage. if no water, go to step 2
2. replace batter in remote. if system doesn't function go to step 3
3.re- register transmitter and check functions if not go to step 4
4. register a good know transmitter and check system,
if the system does not function go to step 5
5. remove the trunk lid inner cover and disconnect the trunk lock control
unit 18P white connector.
check for continuity between the green wire terminal and ground.
there should be continuity at all times.
If there is continuity ,go to step 6
if no continuity ,check for open circuit in the green wire
6. measure the voltage between the red/yellow wire terminal(+)and
ground (-) there should be battery voltage at all times
if there is battery voltage, replace the trunk lock control unit
if there is no voltage, check the following
blown No.22 fuse
open circuit in the red/yellow wire

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Did you check the wiring to the trunk lid? A lot of 1800 owners are having problems with the wires getting chopped up by the hinges.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I can have a close look at the wiring .

There 2 wires set ( left and right of the truck ) which one is going and the latch and lock ?

if I disconnect the receiver , can I lock/unlock and open the truck if I apply 12Volts on the right wire? ( which one it could be )

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

*** UPDATE ***

Ok after have look at the red/yellow wire ot the connector there was 0 volt So I trace down that wire and on the right side of the trunk in the wire harness at the hinge height ..... 2 wires was cut ...red/yellow and pink/brown

after repair those 2 wires ( weld ) I double check the remote ...everything work like a charm

Job complete ;-)

thank you all...

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Well done. That seems to be a common weak point on the 1800, wires getting chopped.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Good call Al.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Good Job Al,

I had looked at the wiring on mine and did not find any cut or broken. Maybe when I get a chance I will take another look at the wiring to see if there was something I missed.

:claps:

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Did you check the wiring to the trunk lid? A lot of 1800 owners are having problems with the wires getting chopped up by the hinges.
Not seen a chopped-up wire, but they break where they fold into the 180 degree. Pi** poor design. I fixed mine, then re-routed the wired from both hinge areas, and met them in the middle. The don't bend near as much.

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The seat has to come off to rearrange wires under there to make them end up like I have them. About a 1 hr job. My lighter socket, remote, and right speaker had quit. :lash: Honda otta be proud. !! Cold weather use really speeds up the wire breakage.

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
Thanks so much!

After months since the remote lock/unlock quit working, and after battery replacing, even trying a new CRV Remote programmed, the technician of the locksmith shop who programmed the remote, told me the control module should be bad, so I was ready to order a new one from Western Honda, but searching thru, I found this thread, decided it worth a try, so taking advantage of the cloudy and humid weather around, ( an improvement over a heavy sunny day ) I checked the trunk wires by the right hinge, as soon as I release the wires from the tubing cover, the white one come out like saying: I am the culprit! So I repair it, attaching a 1" lengh of the same gauge, and using heat shrink tubing, then I carefully inspected all of them, none seems broke, but after a second inspection on the red and yellow wire,it showed an angle, so I decided to cut thru, found it was broken too, same procedure to fix, then for the first time in months, the remote worked again. I re taped everything and used a small piece of plastic corrugated tubing fixed with a zip tie to avoid the wires to bent so much or at least to bend in another section.
So many thanks to you all!

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Good to hear about another success story! :thumbsup: Glad you got it fixed without spending more unnecessary cash.

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
Not so fast! my GoldWing seems to say, the lights come on, the trunk gets unlocked, but it doesn't lock or unlock the saddlebags, seems as another wire is still broke, maybe 2, today will check every one again, maybe will rearrengment of the wires, but I was thinking of this: would be possible to use a wire tape, the kind used on PC's, those are very flexible, and would not bent as much as the thick bulk Honda installed, I guess it depends on the amps running thru, just an idea...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed my remote problem!

After finding this forum on Friday, I tore into my same issue. Resetting procedure didn't work so I decided to investigate the wiring. Fifteen minutes later - there it is! Two broken wires in the harness on the right side of the trunk with the harness showing obvious signs of being pinched in the hinge mechanism. Some solder, heat-shrink tubing and I'm a happy camper!

I also re routed both wiring harnesses away from the hinges so this doesn't happen again...

Thanks for posting the fix!!! :waving:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.