Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my stock windshield with one that is a couple of inches shorter. All the ones I can find are taller.

Can anyone recommend a source for a shorter one?

thx. mark in mn

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
I don't think anyone makes a shorter one but they can be cut off. Basically you make a template from the top of the shield and transfer it down to where you want it, cut it with a jig saw and smooth the edge with a file and sandpaper.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
A very inexpensive source. Just cut it down to whatever height you want. It's not hard to do and many here including myself have done it. The trick is to use a saber saw or even a coping saw, cover most of the windshield both back and front with masking tape, use a compass spaced open to the amount you want to cut off and keeping one arm of the compass on the edge of the windshield, holding the two legs of the compass vertical scribe the new edge on the tape. Don't twist the compass, keep its two legs in the vertical position at all time in the scribing. Then cut it. If you use a saber saw use a slow speed and a fine blade. Be careful and hold the saw to the plastic and cut with light pressure. Heavy pressure or a fast speed will cause the plastic to melt and grab in the cut. Don't let the plastic vibrate when cutting. You can back up the cut with your hand. If you hand saw it use a fine coping saw blade. Once cut leave the tape on and using a fairly fine mill ******* type of file, the wider the better file the edges of the cut smooth. Use the file in a planning like action along the cut edge not across it. Once the cut is smooth use the file to bevel or round off the front and back edge of the new cut just a bit to put a radius on it which reduces stress in the plastic. My final action was to use some 400 or 600 grit wet sandpaper used wet to polish out all the scratches in the cut. Use the sandpaper along the cut not across it.
I cut two inches off a brand new Cee Bailey windshield. Quite a risk if I'd damaged it because I'd have had to buy a second windshield and Cee Bailey doesn't give them away. In your case if you do bugger it up, unlikely as that is you aren't out much since you were planning on buying a new one anyway.
If you still want to buy a new windshield you could cut yours down, maybe more than one cut to find the exact height for a new one in the lowest position.

Man this prohibited word software is stupid. Those ******** above were because I can't use the proper name of a general purpose single cut file. It's a bas tard file

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
I have used a dremel for the last couple I've cut, they are great, no vibration & able to do fine cuts & finishing, I used to use jig saws before, just don't be in a hurry & I find to helps to clamp the free ends of the windshield after you have started the cut, less chance of vibration creating a split or unwanted crack. :waving:

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I want to replace my stock windshield with one that is a couple of inches shorter. All the ones I can find are taller.

Can anyone recommend a source for a shorter one?

thx. mark in mn
I bought the Cee baileys 2" shorter with vent on my 2001.. Love it it also tapers less than the stock and is stiffer am 5'8 and can just see over it in lowest position

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I have used a dremel for the last couple I've cut, they are great, no vibration & able to do fine cuts & finishing, I used to use jig saws before, just don't be in a hurry & I find to helps to clamp the free ends of the windshield after you have started the cut, less chance of vibration creating a split or unwanted crack. :waving:
Very good point. I did the same thing after starting the first cut and noticing the end piece of the cut off vibrating. I didn't have a clamp handy so just bridged the gap by folding some masking tape over the gap. That worked too.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Yes... quite easy to cut. I have also made the hole for the vent on several windshields.
I recommend the Lexan windshields like the origionials over the many Acrylic replacements. If you have ever seen how easy Acrylic windshields break and shatter into knife like shards... They are a great way to get disemboweled if one goes over the windshield in an accident!!!
Lexan will bend before breaking. A far safer material!

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Try the windshield for the F6B.. That is a lot shorter, you won't have to cut it, and it will fit. :)

:18black:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.