Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

o8 gl 1800 w/ 14000 miles. led's for the meter panel are not working. could this be a fuse or relay problem: where do I start?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If it were me, I'd go back to the dealer and ask for my 1500 back. :action:

But this should pop you back to the top where the other 1800 guys tend to float. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

They are soldered LED's, directly into the meter panel. Does the rest of the meter panel work? It's very rare for the LED's to blow, and if a fuse pops the whole meter panel stops working.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

yes, the rest of the panel woks fine. The info, disp, dim, and the seat and hand warmers all work perfectly. Only the leds are not illuminated.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You can also check the www.gl1800riders.com forum if you don't hear from someone soon.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

And welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Meter panel? My lights went out on my left hand side (headlight adjust and suspension adjuster panel) so I'm interested in this. They are soldered in and if the fuse were gone, it would not work at all. Do simple checks first though (ensure all fuses are good, check the connections to the panel, etc...) LED's don't go bad often so they are probably still good, it might just be a connection problem. Have you had that panel off recently?

And if ALL else fails and you don't want to replace the panel but you can't deal without them (use this as a last resort):

You can test them with a multimeter that has a continuity test mode (beeps when there's a connection), however you will probably need to unsolder them first. It's just a simple diode that puts out light so the multimeter will beep when connected to the leads of each light one way, but not the other. Checking the resistance of each one would do the same (you get no/low resistance one way and a very high if not infinite resistance reading the other).

I'm sure there's other ideas that might work as well thus the "last resort". Someone on here might have some info other than what I have to help that wouldn't require completely disassembling the panel. LOL:?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the input, I do know how to use a tester, I'm thinking since everything else works on the panel it must be no input power to the LED's or open ground to them. It's not that big a deal, I just like everything to work. Just bought the bike in july, and those LED's have never worked. Thanks

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

I have looked at the schematics and can find no separate input for the meter illumination. I went and looked at mine to see if they would dim all the way out, they will not, still some light even with the dimmer all the way down. Leads me to believe there is a problem in the panel. Doubtful all the lights would go bad at once.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Could it be the dimmer switch? vnapoli Does it dim any other lights?

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

ivnapoli wrote:
yes, the rest of the panel woks fine. The info, disp, dim, and the seat and hand warmers all work perfectly. Only the leds are not illuminated.
From what I remember I believe those are not illuminated at all. Ive an 07 an those switches arent illuminated and have no lights to illuminate them from the backside. EC is making a kit with LEDs to light them from below.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

maybe that's the question I should be asking. Does the meter panel for the gl1800 have LED's under the hand and seat warmers as well as the disp, info, and dim switches.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks for letting me know. Either we both have a problem or there are no Led's under the meter panel to begin with.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
imported post

vnapoli wrote:
maybe that's the question I should be asking. Does the meter panel for the gl1800 have LED's under the hand and seat warmers as well as the disp, info, and dim switches.
From what I've looked at under mine when I did an air filter change a couple of years ago there are no lights for those particular controls. If you want to check it takes 5 minutes to pull the dash. A good reference to look at is the manual if you want to be totally sure.
Heres the aftermarket kit if you need to light them up.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/01350.htm

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hmmm, that makes my 08 , an 09,and a 2010. Makes me think there are no LED's in the meter panel. Thanks guys.

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

vnapoli wrote:

Do not understand this comment. There is no illumination for the items you mention above! Where are these buttons/controls are located, they would reflect in the windshield at night if illuminated.

What items are you specifically talking about in you origional post?

Edited-guess I should read all posts before responding!!!! Seems my questions were already asked and answered!!!!

Sorry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.