Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Was just looking around and happened across this video.

from what I can hear from the video, I think that I would very seriously consider buying a set of Cobra Mufflers for an 1800.

Much quieter, especially at cruise.

Cobra Muffler vs Stock Muffler

J&P Cycles shows them

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I have the Cobra exhaust on my bike. Just about every place I go where there is a group of riders someone will make the comment about how quiet the bike is. At idle one cannot hardly tell it is running.

I installed them for looks, they say you get a horsepower increase, maybe you do, I cannot tell, but they are very quiet. They are about equal at speed though, neither is loud at 70 mph, and with wind noise in the helmet, I think about equal.

Kit

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Kit for that bit of first hand knowledge.

You sold me. My punch list just got started ;)

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

So what's the point of changing? If I were changing, I'd want a nice mellow tone rumble, but not at the price of new mufflers.:cool:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'm one of those who don't want to hear any exhaust noise at all.

After about 5 minutes, my ears are hurting. When you have tinnitus, things are a lot different than for the average guy.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hey AZgl

I have a pretty bad case of tinnitus, therfore I don't even start the bike without ear plugs in. Which would make changing the mufflers kind ofa mute point. Bear in mind the real noise "damage" comes from wind noise at highway speed. Just thought I would throw the out there for thought.

Tom

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Tom,

You are sure right about the wind noise. I can't handle that very well either.

I bet I'm not the only one who can hold a decent conversation with most folks, as long as, there is "only one person speaking".

Add another bit of noise, TV, radio, another conversation, and I loose the whole show... I turn the TV off when we are having meals together.

This makes for some uncomfortable discussions occasionally, so I make it clear that I can only hear one thing at a time. My internal filters can not sort out the extra junk in the air.

This is why folks who must wear hearing aids have a lot of trouble in restaurants. It all becomes a jumble of noise.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

John, you are about the only one who I know who can't take any exhaust noise. There's a few V-twin dudes who I'd like to do a neck twist test on. And, there's an 1800 here, that you wouldn't think it was possible to get that much noise out of. And, I also can't take even tire noise, so it's ear-plugs all the way. I even wear them in restaurants most of the time. (noisy damned people, on their cells, and just plain pure-ole-dee stupid inconsideration !!) Those who don't have the tinnitus just don't seem to remember, care about, or understand how painful excess noise is.

The vehicles that really get me are those *$#@&^(!%+/ Honda cages with those blasted megaphones. How did we get those things foisted on us??? A close second is a cold Powerstroke, or cold damned Dodge Scummins. Absolutely painful to be around those things. There's a couple...........(humans) who have in no uncertain words, told me, if I don't like it, leave. I guess I don't have any rights. If it wasn't for this friggin' liberal society, there's a few actions I'd definitely take. Having this wierd hearing problem, is like being in a prison. :gunhead: And, a lot of people just don't seem to care who they disturb. Sometimes, it's hard not to hate people. I often wish they had the same problem, at lesast once in awhile, so they will tone themselves and their damned noise down. Don't get me started on garbage trucks. I know they make those things to produce as much noise as they can. GRRRRRR :X

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Oregonwinger,

I have thought many times that I need to get three audio oscillators and a good tape recorder.

I would set the oscillators up one at a time to get the exact pitch and volume level that my tinnitus is presenting to me.

One of those tones I hear has distortion in it. I would get a fuzz box for a guitar and feed that oscillator through the fuzz box.

Once all are set to proper levels and pitch, turn all on at the same time. Record that sound and convert it to mp3. Carry a mp3 player with me and when I sit down with some one who is bitching about how dumb it is that I can't understand what they are saying, .....

Well, that is where I turn on the mp3 player and tell them that we are going to continue our conversation. Can you hear me? Oh, you want me to tell you again? What's the matter dumbass, can't you hear me? :D

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Ouch !!! :cheeky1: :walker: :chopper: :headbanger:

Sounds like you know your stuff. :band: :band:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.