Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What oh lads;),

Has any of you removed the end can on GL1800.. if so could you tell me how you got the exhaust gasket off.. it just wont budge.. and its doing my head in:bash:. What im doing is replacing the stock can's.. with the Cobra one's.. ive got new gasket's to fit but cant remove old one's.. and im not sure if i will get an exhaust leak.. cause the gasket's that are on there seem to be a bit far back.. i dont want to fit them and then have to take them off again:shakehead:if you now what i mean. Steve.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

Steve, the muffler won't just pull off, you need to spray it with something like WD40 and twist it really hard. Once the twisting gets a move on it the mufler will come off much easier.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi, have removed muffler okay.. it's the gasket im having trouble with.. it just wont budge.. i dont really want to take drastic measure's incase i damagethe pipe or heat shield...Steve.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Stephen, if the old gaskets are stuck on (they often are) you will have to break them off. Sometimes they come off stuck to the inside of the muffler pipe, more often they stick to the collector pipe. If you are reusing the old muffler then of course this doesn't matter, but as you are fitting new ones you will have to break the old gaskets off. I usually use a chisel to hack a line across the gasket and this makes it loose enough to tap off easily.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The gasket is baked on Stephen, thats because they compress from the heat and the pressure of the clamp. Just break it off and fit a new one.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Cheers All,

i will give it a go.. thank's 4 the info.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Best of luck Stephen, you should find the gaskets break off without too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

Stephen-From the looks of this post from August I would assume you now have your Cobra pipes installed. Recently bought a 2008 Wing and am considering the Cobra purchase. How do you like the pipes and most important, did you like the sound change? Did the rest of your installation go ok? Thanks in advance,

Bigg Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.