Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 GL 1800---when I put in reverse the bike died--key on and no power--panel not lit--nothing--couple of hours and everything back to normal, Did this a couple of times--- fuses and battery checked out. Called Motor Sports and they were no help. Suspect the malfunction could be in the reverse circuitry? Anybody recognize the problem. Bike works fine now but don't trust it.

·
Premium Member
68,556 Posts
You don't happen to have the kick stand down..............

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Welcome to the forum Hughes500. I have read your post several times and checked the schematic for the Starter/Reverse system and can't find anything that jumps out at me on your problem. I did however verify your last post and you are right, with bike in neutral, the bike will start without regard to the side stand however reverse won't work. I went to the garage and tried it on mine and no joy in reverse with the stand down. But it didn't kill the engine either. So I'm still looking for a reason for the probleem you describe. Maybe one of the techs will chime in with words of wisdom.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Nah--as long as the bikes in neutral--kick stand does not prevent the ignition and starter from working.
Jackjohn and I posted at almost the same time!! We both got the same results. The bike continues to run either way.

I just tried it on my bike.

In Neutral, Kickstand Down, press in the reverse switch and it switches to reverse and the Neutral light goes out.

Press the start/reverse switch and nothing happens except the headlights go out.

Pull the Kickstand Up and then press the start/reverse switch and the bike reverses and the headlights go out.

Back to your problem. When you hit the starter a lot of power is drawn from the battery. Have you checked the battery connections? Including where the ground wire is connected to the frame? All of the power comes through the 100 AMP fuse and is then divided out through multiple other fuses. Next time use a Multimeter with the negative lead on the battery post and check for power to the input side of the fuses. If you have it then you have a ground problem. All of the lights, electronics etc share a common ground, if that ground looses contact with the frame/battery you will loose power to everything.

If you find that to be the case Fred Harmon has a set of pictures showing how to gain access to the common ground block under the back of the gas tank.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gastank

Henry

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:hughes500

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks---I'll check it out but I'll probably bring the bike to Motor Sports, the Tampa Honda dealer and for $50 let them do a diagnostics--only hope the problem repeats itself in their hands. Bought the bike new from them. Only 4600 mis to date. Garage queen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks-I'll check it out. I'll probably bring the bike to Motor Sports in Tampa and for $50 let them do a diagnostics. Hope the problem repeats itself in their hands. Bought the bike new from them in 02. Only 4600 mi. Garage queen.

·
Premium Member
68,556 Posts
It probably died from lack of usage.........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.