Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Then parting out may be the way forward and if you get down to the engine left, maybe you could get that done by someone else and sell that on after.

Plenty more fish in the sea when it comes to replacement bikes. :)
That's true though it grates on me a bunch to have that much money go by the board. It took a good while to accumulate the stuff. I figure if I can sell this bike to someone who wants to take it on or has a crash damaged bike it only cost me $18.00 per mile to ride it so far.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Honestly, I would be inclined to get a professional opinion as to what the issue is.

It might be something that is fixable....... costly, but fixable. To spend $3000 more and have a bike you can ride into the ground for years to come or to lose $5K to $8K Parting it out and end up with nothing doesn't seem like a great option to me.

Either way, it's a horrible situation to be in. Spending that much money, you would expect a few years out of it.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Absolutely correct. Had to have known there was a problem but gave it back to the customer anyway...
Yes he should have had a good idea there was a big problem when the starter motor struggled to turn over. That would have been the time to sit down and think back on what might have gone wrong.
At least the owner got a new engine out of it, although I would guess he would have wanted to keep his original engine. Not having the original engine might affect the value of the Wing when he goes to sell it.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
A really smart (or honest) tech should've noticed that 99 times out of a 100 when assembling the cases...turning the engine over by hand...anticipating the possibility that might happen. I agree the dealership made it right.

There's a strong demand for newer clean GL1800s with lower miles around here. I'd say selling the machine for enough discount to reasonably cover the repair would be better moneywise, and less hassle than parting it out. If I was in the market I would certainly consider a 3k discount on something I knew I could likely fix myself for under a grand.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If I could find a shop that would cure the problem for $3k I'd be a happy camper. Basically the only quotes I can get from a shop is that it will take around $5-6k if they split the case. Also most of them won't do work like that until October or later because they don't want their shop and mechanics working on a long project when the summer business starts.

I decided I'll just ride the bike as long as it will go hopefully until this fall if it doesn't get too bad, it just goes against the grain to give up on it. If I can find a used engine by then I'll swap this one out, if not she's a parts bike. The missing chrome header cover and a few other small missing items will have to wait until the jury comes back in on the engine.

Does anyone know the difference if any on the 1800 engine before and after '06? I know there were some changes so need to know if I'd have to have an '06 or later engine.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Wow Exavid...that seems pretty steep. I think they're telling you they don't want the work. I suppose it can vary regionally but around here you'd probably get quoted a little more than half that...P and L. Of course all estimates are subject to change when the parts actually get inspected. It IS a big job and shops do get 'nailed' with work this time of year...but work is work. I'd think a service manager would be pretty happy with a gauranteed 20 plus hour job any time of year.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The only saving grace was I got the bike pretty reasonably priced so if I spend another 2-3 thousand on it that wouldn't put it very much over its market value. Let's hope I can find a new engine between now and next fall. I can say one thing for sure I gotta get a bike lift before doing any more serious work in it. I'm still stove up from two days of working on it on the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I'd suggest a post on the gl1800riders.com site. Much more 1800-specific group. I send folks with the older bikes over here from it often. I personally know a rider over on it that has a flare red 2004 for sale with a greatly reduced price due to milage. She still has many good miles left, however.

Well, just found out that it sold this past weekend. This was the guy that did the riding and demos in my videos - he was on a yellow 'Wing at the time.

Check that site, though - a huge assembly of 1800 people there.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I personally would be inclined to take the same tack as you suggest Exavid, ride it for now, then keep an eye out for a replacement engine and do a straight swap. :claps:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello!

I'm new here and I come from Finland so my english would sound little bit odd, but hopefully you'll understand.

I have a 2002 GL 1800 and 125 000 kilometers on it, and it has following problem:
when motor is warm and idle is under 1,000 rpm it will make some vibrant like sympton when you quickly touch the throttle, pulling the clutch wont make difference.

It goes more creepier in the road when (again motor warm and idle under thousand rpm) you come to lights and pull the clutch also making soft middle throttle to downsift better, motor makes quite big vibrant, which you feel in handlebars and left leg.

I have read about HORRIBLE acg/adg failures, but my acg and alternator isn't making such noises like others have described (for example adg death rattle in youtube) .

I'm wondering more like clutch basket or bearing problem. Does riding with too big gear in low speeds make bad to clutch basket or something else? These bikes has so good torque, so I sometimes drive with too big gear

Sorry that this message went wrong place, because I have more likely vibration than noise (little bit this too) problems.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I feel for you. The seller knew. Can you locate another complete engine? I might having as much bad luck as you want to hear it run first. Better it comes from a salvage wreck. Your old engine still has some value as well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.