Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

what type a oil filter will fit my 2005 gl 1800, looking at fram but iam confused of the type part number. all the books that i am looking at only gives me the 2001 to 2003 1800 not the 2005??? :stumped:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

wing nut wrote:
what type a oil filter will fit my 2005 gl 1800, looking at fram but iam confused of the type part number. all the books that i am looking at only gives me the 2001 to 2003 1800 not the 2005??? :stumped:

Go to HondaDirectLineUSA web siteas they have the genuine Honda ones a a good price :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I'm curious about your later model wings. The question is this: do you folks use spin on filters?

The reason I ask is after looking at the provided test info, I realized that all of the filters tested appeared to be spin on types.

My 1100 as you know uses a cartridge type filter. My mechanic, who has dealt with wings for several years provided me with a Fram. 6007 I think is the number.

If I'm running a crap filter, I'm going to change. I do change my oil every 3-4000 miles and use Rotella T 5w-40 Synthetic. I do not get any valve train noise when I start the bike.

Thanks,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I got away from Fram filters years ago. I have an F250 V10that I use to haul a 5th wheel and always had cold start noise. The local auto supply showed me a cut away view of Fram and Wix. Been using Wix ever since on everything..except my Wing where I use Honda filters because I haven't checked to see if Wix makes Goldwing filters. A case of Honda filters came with my bike when I bought it.

This seems to be like the what's the best oil discussion as there are different strokes for different folks. I just know that I'm not going to save a couple of bucks on something so important...more important than the type of oil, I think.

And yes, Hobie. 1500s are spin on filters. Don't know about the others.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Wix makes wing filters.

I use wix on avout everything i own. and no problems yet. I also believe that NAPA GOLD oil filters are WiX with a differnt name on them.

Chris

1983 GL1100I

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Hobie, for around $35 you can convert your GL1100 to spin-on filters. Available on ebay, or though a guy in Canada. Lots us Wingers have done this. Makes it easier to get filters.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

supercoupe1993 wrote:
Wix makes wing filters.

I use wix on avout everything i own. and no problems yet. I also believe that NAPA GOLD oil filters are WiX with a differnt name on them.

Chris
I think you're right, the guts sure look the same. A NAPA store here had the cutaway exhibit also. A couple years after I got my '90Cummins Dodge I got a Chrysler letter advising not to use certain aftermarked filters due to the possibility of internal collapse. A service manager at a dealership told me it was Fram that caused the problems but they couldn't put the name in the letter due to the lawyers.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Wix Part Numbers for Goldwings:

GL1000 ~ 24940

GL1100 ~ 24940

GL1200 ~ 24940

GL1500 ~ 51358

GL1800 ~ 51358

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Thanks for that Chris, Wix are avaiable in the UK, what a surprise!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Thanks for that Chris, Wix are avaiable in the UK, what a surprise!
Do you know where from please for future reference?

Pete

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Please,I don't mean to sound ignorant , but are the oil plug and filter on a 1980 gl1100 interstate left or right hand threaded?:?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

stephenschwake wrote:
Please,I don't mean to sound ignorant , but are the oil plug and filter on a 1980 gl1100 interstate left or right hand threaded?:?
Normal anti-clockwise to open.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
imported post

The getleman in Canada that I contacted stated he no longer makes the conversion to the spin on filter for the older wings To expensive for the the materials andnot enough call for them. Bmmer bcause I was looking to do this. Is there another manufacturer for these units? thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

hockeydad33 wrote:
The getleman in Canada that I contacted stated he no longer makes the conversion to the spin on filter for the older wings To expensive for the the materials andnot enough call for them. Bmmer bcause I was looking to do this. Is there another manufacturer for these units? thanks
Keep an eye on eBay they show there off and on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.