Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...here is questions I bet none of you have EVER seen asked, but here goes. GL1800 engine oil pump is the subject. Does any one know what the output is on the pump...? What I mean in, given with no back pressure on the pump...how many liter per minute can the GL1800 oil pump deliver...?

:?

·
Administrator
27,926 Posts
I guess the only way to find out would be to remove the filter, put a container under it, start the engine and click your stop watch.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the only way to find out would be to remove the filter, put a container under it, start the engine and click your stop watch.
Great idea...HOWEVER...!!! One tinny tiny problem with that is...while its pumping it's lives blood out, NONE of the bearings and other parts are getting any oil what so ever. So I guess I will pass in this method.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I am really trying to get down to is this... How many liters per / minutes is passing through the filter. Now I know for a fact that "IF" the pump would be run with ZERO back pressure...that the pump will pump a great beat more then with back pressure. See there is a pressure regulator valve in the engine, once a given pressure is reached, the valve will open dumping the over pressure volume of oil back into the oil pan area...( without it passing through the filter ). Now is memory serves me right the valve start to open or opens at a pressure of 77 PSI. That's all well and great, but that still does not tell me what the volume of oil is that's being pumped.

And trying to get / find a email address to some Tech support at Honda...well thats next to impossible.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Is this just a question brought on by PMS "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome" or are you trying to diagnose a problem? :?

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
The output of the pump would be directly prportional to the speed of the engine. Can't be any answer until that is known. Engine speed goes up, so does oil pump speed and volume. I too wonder why you need to know this?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Just to add to what redwing said.

Flow through the filter is a function of oil viscosity which drops with the heat of the oil and bearing clearances and has little to do with the capacity of the pump unless it's fubared.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this just a question brought on by PMS "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome" or are you trying to diagnose a problem? :?

PMS "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome" .....OH HELL NO...! I am still riding as long as the temp is 4c or higher...I ride..!

No problem, better not be as my bike will be 2 years old this April 2013. Its just something I have been wondering on just how much oil goes through the filter. And I know it varies with RPMS and bearing clearances and so on...just wanted to get a idea of how many liter per minutes really goes into being used for lubeing everything.

I just have a very curious mind is all. Ya...ok so I am weird...so be it, I love to learn and have always been this way and will be till I die...its just the way I am built.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I just have a very curious mind is all. Ya...ok so I am weird...so be it, I love to learn and have always been this way and will be till I die...its just the way I am built.
Not weird at all, to many so called mechanics just go by the book without understanding how it all works.:sadguy:
Bye the way the book can be wrong but if you study and understand how it works you'll spot the mistakes in the book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.