Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all !

I've had my 2002GL1800 for 5 years now, and I've always noticed that it appears touse too much oil compared to my other Honda's. After a1500 mile run,I might be down about 1/4 quart. The valves were checked at 32000 miles. It doesn'tblow smoke out the back either. I have approx. 53000 miles on it at this time.

Is this normal? I use the Honda recommended oil and oil changes are done at the correct intervals.

Is a synthetic oil recommended?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TJ

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

i know nothing about 1800's but that doesn't sound right is there any oil spot uder bike when parked

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

How long did you wait before checking the oil level? If you check it right away it may show about the half pint low that you indicated.
After it has set for 5 or more minutes, check again. If it is using half a pint in 1500 miles... does it use about a quart in 3000 miles? Another check without just adding oil... drain the oil and filter into a gallon container and see how much is there over the recommended fill amount. There have been vary vary few GL1800's that have reported oil consumption.

Corventure Dave

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Mine has never used a drop between oil changes. Like mentioned, when checking, wait at least 5 minutes before checking to prevent overfilling by accident. I go between 6,000 to 8,000 miles on oil changes, I use Mobile 1 4T Racing 10-40 synthetic made for motorcycles.:smiler:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My 2005 wing has 50,000 miles on it and I have never had to put any oil in it. Changed between every 2-3,000 miles.

Can feel the differnece in shifting and change at this point.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Your Oil consumption seems a bit odd to me. My 2004 has over 70,000 miles on it and like GLester I change mine every 6-8K miles. I also use Mobile 1 (non racing) and have not had to add any oil between changes. About 70% of my riding is on long trips with the rest made up of around town jaunts.

I check my oil in the mornings after the bike has set. I never check it at a gas station or after having just shut if off because the oil has not had a chance to completely flow back into the sump.

Do you park the bike using the side stand or do you use the center stand over night. I always put it in the center stand over night and use the side stand for quick stops.

Also when you change the oil is it on the center stand and when you check it later is it on the side stand??

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Mine has never used a drop between oil changes. Like mentioned, when checking, wait at least 5 minutes before checking to prevent overfilling by accident. I go between 6,000 to 8,000 miles on oil changes, I use Mobile 1 4T Racing 10-40 synthetic made for motorcycles.:smiler:

Gene:action:
+ 1

Jeff

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
Change to a different oil and the problem might stop.
I agree, try Delo 400 or Rotella T5 10/30. Mine has 103,000 and has never used any oil. Just changed it after about 6,000 miles and it was right on the top line. A friend had an 03 with over 200,000 and it used just a little.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I use DELO and change it around every 4000-5000 miles on my '01. The bike has about 75,000 miles on it and doesn't use any measurable oil between changes. My 1500 with 170,000+ miles on it didn't either. Your oil use seems a bit higher than normal though not serious if you change your oil around every 3500 miles or so. I wouldn't use synthetic oil if you're using a bit just due to the cost of the stuff. DELO 400 or another good quality petro based oil will work just as well at a lot less cost. How do your plugs look? Any sign of oil in the coolant? It doesn't seem to me likely that the engine is using oil more like it's getting out somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.