Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
despite I got this GL800 early July, rain season and other circumstances avoid us the use of the bike except for a couple of rides from Puerto Vallarta to Guadalajara ( 200 mi mostly Highway toll road, which BTW starting Nov 25th 2012, motorcycles has a special 50% fee over the family car's one on all Mexico's Toll roads, but this is another story )
So on early December, after fresh poil change and fresh brake pads at both ends we headed to Michoacan State, a beautiful large state, ending on Valle de Bravo a nice town with a good climate and a couple of Monarch butterflies sanctuaries on the area;
problem was in Morelia, Michoacan Capital City, I decided to head to Los Azufres, a beautiful place in the mountains, very cold and with many hot sulphurous water streams, which are used to generate power; from Morelia I choosed the famous Mil Cumbres old road, ( the main old road to Mexico City ) which is very high and very twisty, so with bike full loaded and the rear suspension cranked, we went that way, looking for a shorcut to los Azufres, but there is more than one, so I detour on the first to Querendaro Lake, which is close to Los Azufres, only this 20 km descending narrow road, is very well paved for the first mile or so, then slides, big potholes and sections with no pavement at all, crosses between many small ranchos, so I must use all of my off road skills to avoid hitting the bottom of the bike and choosing the best path, braking constantly at low speed fo over half an hour which seemed as two, until the bike lost the rear brake completely, gone!, I checked for a leak but there was not any, so my guess was the previous owner didn't replaced the brake fluid on time, and due the constant braking the disc overheated, transfering the heat to the caliper and the fluid, was very hard to use only the front, despite I know of the ABS linked system of the bike, after a while we arrived to Querendaro, from there the road is open and with long straights, so after 15 minutes, I noticed the rear went back,
I don't have any more problems during our 10 days ride, but coming back I stop in Guadalajara to replace the rear fluid on a large shop, the mechanic didn't have time enough to replace the whole fluid on the system, but shortly will be done.
question is: someone has a similar problem hard using the rear brake?
thanks.
I tried to attach a pic of the ride, didn't work, sorry.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I'm glad you made it safely back. Sounds like a great ride even with the conditions. I have traveled many roads like that in Colorado, many none roads too.

Yes change all brake and clutch fluids yearly or gunk builds up in the seals after just 3 years especially if the area has high heat temps. After 3 years most will find that you have to take apart the calipers, master cylinders and slave cylinders to remove the gunk as bleeding and flushing just does not remove the gunk.
Moisture gets in the systems too and boils, becomes an acid substance which eats the seals and corrodes the bores of the cylinders(eventually you will have leaks especially the slave cylinder)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was a great ride, despite the floorboards touched ground a couple of times when riding Mil Cumbres famous road ( one thousand summits ) I just slowed down a little, because I am not used to the feel and it scared me,
I will replace the brake and clutch fluids before our next ride to Colima City, Capital for the same state, downloaded the manual after i found the link on this great Forum, thanks Steve!
I am aware of Emilio Scotto and his Black Princess GL, the forst one and the new 1800 which I recall was a gift from Honda Corporation.
I reduced the size of the pic and I am trying to upload it again:
sorry, it didn't work despite it is only a 565kb .jpg, the upload window just got blank after a few seconds after hitting upload button.

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
just my thought... If anyone knows.. Could this be a symptom of perhaps using DOT 3 instead of DOT 4 vbrake fluid????:?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
just my thought... If anyone knows.. Could this be a symptom of perhaps using DOT 3 instead of DOT 4 vbrake fluid????:?
The difference is a higher boiling point.

Old fluid, either one, is a problem of soaking up moisture and causing all kinds of problems.
These brakes work good if proper Preventative Maintenance is done, fluid flush and change, all pins and bushings cleaned and lubed w/copper brake lube and pistons cleaned of residue on outsides before pushing back into the calipers yearly.

·
Just a Rider
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just run into James, the previous owner, and told about, he assured me he performed the maintenance schedule on time always,but he can't recall when and where was the last time the brake fluid was flushed, so my guess is maybe someone used fluid from an already opened container and due our high humidity on the area, it has moisture enough to build bubbles on hard use, in Guadalajara I picked a sealed container of Castrol Dot 4,
will try later to upload to google, since I do have a task to perform: to replace the rear shock of the Beemer for the just serviced Öhlins unit.

well I uploaded a pic to google plus, hope this works:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.