Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum so may not be searching correctly. Want to get a set of progressive fork springs but see terms like stock, heavy duty, spacers needed, no spacers needed. Anyone have tips on buying the correct ones? Have watched videos and read installs and confused why some one would trim a spacer or have the spring drop below the shock top. Know there is a spring compressor so having spring not protrude seems wrong to me. Tahnsk for any pointers so I get the right set the first time. Thanks, Mike. 2006 GL1800 audio.

·
Administrator
25,751 Posts
Progressive only offers 1 set for 1800s. They recommend cutting the spacers even with the top of the forks for a 3/4" preload when you put the cap on. The spacers don't protrude much anyway so the ones I have done I have left them as is. If you weigh less than average & don't carry a passenger it may be a good thing to cut the spacers. If like most of us you weigh more than average and especially if you carry a passenger & or pull a trailer I would recommend a progressive rear spring as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Progressive only offers 1 set for 1800s. They recommend cutting the spacers even with the top of the forks for a 3/4" preload when you put the cap on. The spacers don't protrude much anyway so the ones I have done I have left them as is. If you weigh less than average & don't carry a passenger it may be a good thing to cut the spacers. If like most of us you weigh more than average and especially if you carry a passenger & or pull a trailer I would recommend a progressive rear spring as well.

Bike and Dennis, I did try but only getting information on the cartridges (and insurance :)).

Dave, So in your opinion there is something that has to be modified and it isn't just a spring swap, is that correct? I thought it was nothing but pull the old out and put the new in and fight to get the cap back on.

Thanks to you both,
Mike

·
Administrator
25,751 Posts
Dave, So in your opinion there is something that has to be modified and it isn't just a spring swap, is
that correct?

Thanks to you both,
Mike
Don't know where you read that. It really is pretty simple. You don't have to cut the spacers, I didn't but it's what they recommend. The caps are really easy to put on an 1800, with the forks out I can do it with 1 hand holding a fork and put the cap on with the other.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
461 Posts
Bike and Dennis, I did try but only getting information on the cartridges (and insurance :)).

Dave, So in your opinion there is something that has to be modified and it isn't just a spring swap, is that correct? I thought it was nothing but pull the old out and put the new in and fight to get the cap back on.

Thanks to you both,
Mike
Here ya go: https://www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1465/fork-spring-kit
Listing is for a 2012 but checked for a 2004 and the numbers are the same.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I can't say anything for the 1800 but several years back a friend kind of bigger then the average rider, put a set of progressive springs on his 1500, he said they were very hard going tar strips in the road. Maybe someone that has them on their 1800 can chime in with some comments on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts