Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I fashioned a tool to remove the rear shock spring for the purposes of replacing the shock, installing a progressive spring or replacing the preload adjuster so I thought I would share it here.
Here is the tool I made out of things I had laying around the shop.

First you need to back out the set screw in the housing. A 2mm hex key is required.

Then install the tool and compress the spring to reveal the clip.

Make a mark to align the set screw so the adjuster will be in the proper position. I kind of forgot about it and made a mark on the shock body.

Remove the clip from the groove and release the spring tension.
Don't forget to put the clip back on the top of the shock before you attach the tool.

Release the spring by backing off the nut on the tool and remove the adjuster and spring.

Put on the new spring/shock/adjuster, whichever the case and reassemble in reverse order.

I was going to post this in the reference and FAQ forum but for some reason I am not allowed.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

Nice job on the tool.:claps: home made tools are always the best.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I was going to post this in the reference and FAQ forum but for some reason I am not allowed.
Dave, you should have posted this to the Tech forum and it will probably be moved there.

If it's deemed worthy and I think it is, a Moderator or Administrator will copy it to the reference forum.

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
imported post

Looks like a good tool for doing the rear spring, without having to pay big bucks for it. Good job, Dave!:claps::claps::claps::claps:

Gene:action:

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was thinking I would probably make another one and send it to the tool loaner program.

·
Administrator
58,748 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
No one can create a thread in the FAQ forum.
That is reserved only for great threads like you have just done here to be moved by a mod to that forum.

What we will do is leave it here so that all who are daily readers will see it.

Later, I have set a date on my calendar to remind me, I will move it to the FAQ forum. Once there, anyone can find it with a search for the topic.

-or- they can just simply cruise through that forum and see it there.

Thanks for sharing your expertise Dave.

·
Administrator
25,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have sent the tool to the tool loaner program, tool master flyboyziel56 for those who may want to use it.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

Many thanks Dave!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

awesome job looks better than a snap on.
You could call it a snap off
hehehehe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.