Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife's 2010 wing had the rear brake lock up back in November. This happened prior to the recall, and may have been the tipping point. Honda fixed the problem. I put new tires on both bikes last week. They did the preliminary test on her bike, and the rear wheel now rolls with no resistance. My 2010 wing failed the initial test, and I have been waiting for the secondary test equipment to arrive. I checked today, and the machine is in, and I was going to set up an appointment to have it re-tested next week. Then I found out that if it fails, I have to leave it there and the replacement parts have to be ordered. I also found out that the secondary test involves measuring the amount of force required to move the rear wheel. Honda says that 11.1 lbs of force is acceptable and the bike will pass inspection.

First of all, Honda should be supplying the necessary parts to the dealerships in advance. It is unreasonable for me to have to leave my bike for a repair that only takes 1.2 hours. Secondly, I would like for someone to explain to me how any amount of drag on the rear wheel of a motorcycle is acceptable, EVER! Now that the wife's bike is fixed it feels 200 lbs lighter than mine. It rolls freely, and tracks through the corners in a whole new way.

These are our 6th and 7th goldwings. We love them. We wouldn't ride any thing else. That being said, who came up with this criteria. Who is paying for the brake shoes that are constantly dragging? Honda?? I don't think so.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Slight brake pad drag is normal on all vehicles. In fact it's essential for them to work properly. It's the same with brake shoes, when mechanics fit them they have to ensure there is very slight drag. If there is no drag, that means the gap is too big and would mean loss of brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

And the wheel has weight, axle drag, gear drag, yoiu turning a lot of weight in the rear end..

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Does anyone know what they actually do on the initial test to check the system?

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I guess my question is if the bike failed the first test. Why did you ride it away? If mine would have failed it would have stayed at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The first test is only an indicator that the bike is questionable and requires the second test. The tech said that he could not determine if it was bad enough to fail or not because he had not received the test equipment. I had the choice of calling someone to come get me, or take the back streets home constantly waiting for something to start dragging. The bike has now sat in the garage for another two weeks waiting for the test equipment to show up. Wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't 71 degrees and clear outside.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Are your 2 bikes very close as in serial # I have heard that only a very small percentage of bikes will be effected. If both of yours are I would wonder about a very small parts batch that did not meet spec.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

CnC wrote:
It is unreasonable for me to have to leave my bike for a repair that only takes 1.2 hours..
I disagree. Perhaps if the dealer had nothing else to do, he might have your Wing attended to immediately. In the real world, the mechanics will be busy with other work or get called away to do something else while your Wing is still being worked on.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Latest word at our dealer as of Jan 7th, Honda is supplying parts to stock ahead of need for those needing repair. If he finds one needing the fix, the parts are in stock now. We were told this was a change .... maybe your dealer has a slow connection?

As to percentages .... one fellow in our chapter said he was told out of about 40 checked when he inquired, 2 were affected. The small sample could easily see percentages change by double or half in the next 40?

I understand test criteria, even perfectly normal there wil be some drag on a just parked Gold Wing's rear wheel. Grease in bearings, seals on shafts, ring gear in lube bath, and if the rear brake was used when parked .... the pads haven't been knocked back into calipers by riding as happens in real life. 11-12 pounds pull at tire measured with a scale sounds riight for "break-a-way" force needed.

:)

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yes the vin numbers are 80 and 86. That is one of the reasons I think mine may also be affected.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Most dealers will play it safe. The 1800 has been around since 2001, and if there were large numbers locking up brakes we would have known a long time ago. I think only very small numbers will really need parts replaced.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

OK,,,talking about brake shoes & a little drag,,it shook a few cobwebs loose ! I remember learning in high school auto shop,that when replacing brake shoes on a car,you should turn the star adjusting nut all the way in,when reassembling new brake shoes & drums,then,back out the star nut with the adjusting "spoon" till the wheel is locked.Place an "X" on the tire & loosen the star nut till the wheel will make one complete spin with the "X" on the tire.(how bout that Mr.Stanley! I was awake for that class!)
Always like those drum brakes,never warped,& in the rare instance they got wet,you just drove a few feet & they would dry out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.