·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Not anything to major I don't think. I talked to service manager at local dealer at noon today. He had just got tool for recall. i ran home and picked up bike. My recall is done. No problem found. He said they don't expect to see many problems. But a check only takes 15 minutes or so. So I guess I got one of the very first recalls done.

·
Administrator
26,563 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine who rides an ST1300 had that problem, has the same auxiliary master cylinder. I hate to take mine to the closest dealer but don't have time to go anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the heads up there Crezz.

Mine is free at the moment.

Wonder if fluid changes help this situation.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I'm probably missing something here but jacking the bike up on the center stand and spinning the rear wheel seems like a natural, as is done on a weekly basis.

No, the internals are not inspected and this bothers me to an extent of taking the bike to the local dealer. I will do almost anything to not take it to my local Honda dealer.

It would be very interesting to know what conditions are set up for this to fail other than the suspect parts, such as "instant failure" or gradual "slow-mo" failure.

Also, interested in finding a reliable Honda dealer in the Bradenton-Tampa area. What experiences have you had??

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
A few more bits of info.  the first link has some good pics partway down the page.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...1V567-3275.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...1V567-3275.pdf

Thank you so much for including the PDFs.
They clear up this issue very well. The description together with the diagrams really justify this recall as the issue can develop at any time do to time and temperature caused by seal swelling and heat.

I printed off the above to be presented to the dealer.

For sure you have made many owners happy and the dealers too.
Now to find an acceptable dealer.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

My understanding is that it effects all models from '01-'12. The issue concerns the secondary master cylinder push rod. To see if your GL1800 is effected, go to www.ahm-ownerlink.com, click on recalls, and enter your vin#.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Thank you for the linksOregonwinger! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
My understanding is that it effects all models from '01-'12. The issue concerns the secondary master cylinder push rod. To see if your GL1800 is effected, go to www.ahm-ownerlink.com, click on recalls, and enter your vin#.
Thanks for the recall link.

I followed the instructions and sure enough it's confirmed.

Now the dealer issue.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Did a little "touching" on the 1800 last night.

The issue is with tollerances in the tiny "master cylinder" on the top of the left fork's caliper mounting - excessive deflection in the pump rod (and other values) can leave pressure trapped in the rear lines (the little cylinder boosts rear pressures based on torque at the caliper augmenting anti-dive and such)...

The dealers should all have a set of measurements (and even purpose-made go/no-go gauges to quickly assess the cylinder's mounting and actuator rod angle. Like Ghost-Rider posts, 10 or 20-minutes should be all it takes to find potential problem units. If needed, the repair should be less than an hour (replace that "master cylinder" and re-bleed the brakes). I heard two different values about the numebr of bikes that will need the replacement work -- somewhere along the lines of 4% or 5% total.

Sadly, data presented here is from the Americas, so I can't offer any insight for how we can get help out to the rest of the planet.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Something the Goldwing could have done without. Engineers seem to delight in adding complexity to systems that have worked for many years.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I would think the problem probably occurs in bike where the brake fluid hasn't been changed regularly, or low mileage bikes that don't get the brakes exercised much.,,

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

The problem has to do with the mounting bolt positions of the Secondary Master Cylinder. If it was drilled off tolerance, it can be mounted at a small angle to acceptable. This causes the piston to enter the cylinder at an advanced angle, where it can stop up the fluid release port. If your Secondary Master cylinder is not mounted crooked, you are fine.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
.........data presented here is from the Americas, so I can't offer any insight for how we can get help out to the rest of the planet.
It will be the same everywhere Stan, thanks for the specs. The brakes are identical on GL1800's around the world.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I know of one bike in the UK that has been in for the recall, Alan Y's, and no issues found.

Have there been any others?

·
Registered
110 Posts
imported post

Crezz wrote:
I know of one bike in the UK that has been in for the recall, Alan Y's, and no issues found.

Have there been any others?
a fellow IAM member has a 2005 model that needs to be modified..

alan y

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.