Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

GL1800 Replacement Driving/Fog Lights

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dan45T 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of replacing the Fog/Daytime Running lights (not sure which they really are) on my GL1800 with brighter LED types. The current ones are either OEM lights on it now or possibly Show Chrome. There seems to be some different new ones out there and I don't want to break the bank.

I recently found some by Bling, (appropriate name?), and the price is right in my mind and they look ok. I think I would prefer solid LEDs and not the Halo type but still haven't decided.

Here is the link: LED Halo Angel Eye Fog Light Kit for 2001-2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800

Comments?

#2 ·
I have Driving Lights installed there, they are good enough that I can ride at night w/o the headlights on.

granted, they don't light up black asphalt pavement more than about 100 yards, but it is enough that I can get to safety to figure out what happened to the headlights.

#5 ·
If you are trying to light up the road?

Not going to happen.

The reason being the lights are to close to the ground.

The link you posted shoe nothing more than a diminish reflector, because of the silly halo. with a Halogen bulb

The lower cowl light are primarily for Being Seen.

I tried Short HID's bulb kits, but due to vibration. The Ballasts didn't last more than a year.
They were the brights bulbs I could find.

So i'm back to Silvania Silver Stars.

Only I now use Yellow lens to be seen. (They add contrast to the Headlights)

#6 ·
Show chrome is exactly the same thing as Honda OEM. Those look good in the picture but who knows? They are cheap though. If you want more light on the road go to LED headlight bulbs.

#10 ·
I have the OEM Honda LED lights on my 2012. They are bright and the difference in color makes them stand out to oncoming traffic. A wide flat beam (these are fog lights) will not bother traffic coming at you. They do light up the sides of the road though.
The Showchrome ones are identical for about 50% less than Honda's.

#7 ·
Dave,

I like the idea of the triple function: daytime running lights, higher power fog lights and amber directional, all LED. I installed these TRIDIUM LED FOG LIGHT KIT on my 2015. I actually wanted these: GL1800 SENTINEL Fog/Driving light ADD-ON 45-1860 but price and availability at the time drove me to the BBP. When I installed them I also replaced the factory directionals with the LED switchback white running light/amber directional. I used the SoCal ones with sequential directional.

The BBP ones seem to be only available in the 2012-2017 style shape and not the earlier round. If you choose them, I do have a new style lower cowl in black that would help you out.

I will say that I like the ones I have. They are quite bright and the fogs are adjustable and they mount solid to the engine, not the cowl.

I will also say that having these bright white LEDs may initiate a desire to change headlight bulbs to bright white LEDs as well. If you do I would recommend the SoCal over the Electrical Connection as they are easier to install.

#8 ·
Thanks all for your comments. My main reason to upgrade would to be seen better, not try and light up the road. I put a set of LEDs on my GL1500 that I thought were exceptionally bright but they no longer make the same lights. I was hoping there were some out there I hadn't considered that didn't cost $200-$400.

Andy the Tridium are definitely good looking lights but I didn't want to spend that much plus they didn't fit my model. That's a good site so I may go back to them. I'm still thinking about what I want to do.

Thanks for the INFO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.