Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have never done this, but have come very...very close to running out of gas a few times. I have the 2010 GL1800, now if you run out of gas and then put gas back in the tank...will it start back up...or do you have to do some injector bleeding or such...? As I have said I have never had this happen but I know one day it might just happen and would like to get a idea of what to expect....if and when it should ever happen.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked this question from someone about 2 years ago when I got my 2010 wing. And was told that I have to do this...that...and the other thing to get it to run after running it dry. In short what I was told sure seemed like a hell of a lot of work.

Last summer I was in the Yukon ( Northern Canada ) and almost ran out when the gas when gas station I was expecting to find had long ago closed and was boarded up. More like the place turned into a ghost town...!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
If you run a deisel out of fuel you've got real problems.
The wing can just be restarted.:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
If you run a deisel out of fuel you've got real problems.
The wing can just be restarted.:waving:
Used to have to bleed the diesel fuel lines first. Now just pull the air filter, spray WD40 into the top whilst a second person starts and runs the engine on the continual WD40 being sprayed into the opening until the engine has sucked the diesel down the fuel lines. This only takes about 10-15 seconds.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
The nice thing about modern Electronic Fuel Injector (EFI) systems is that the fuel pump runs constantly while the engine is running. Pressurized fuel leaves the tank and is pumped through the fuel lines to the fuel rails with a pressure regulator. Any unused fuel is returned to the tank. It is a self bleeding system.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
The nice thing about modern Electronic Fuel Injector (EFI) systems is that the fuel pump runs constantly while the engine is running. Pressurized fuel leaves the tank and is pumped through the fuel lines to the fuel rails with a pressure regulator. Any unused fuel is returned to the tank. It is a self bleeding system.
Correct.

No special procedures need apply. Other than cycling the key a couple times. Reason for the cycling, and I cannot say if wings do this, but cars DO. The fuel pump comes on when ignition key is turned to 'on'. The computer will shut off the pump if it does not see a signal from the crankshaft position sensor. You can try this on any car to verify. Now, if trying to start the car, and there is not enough pressure in the line, you will have an extended cranking time before the engine fires up. Thus, cycling the ingition key on/off a couple times to build pressure in the fuel system. This eliminates excessive cranking. Since the fuel tank and engine are so close in proximity on Wings, there should be very little lag time for the fuel to reach the engine.

Side note, alot of new cars are equipped with a 'returnless' style fuel injection. Instead of bleeding back unused fuel into the tank. The pump just constantly turns off and on to maintain correct fuel pressure for whatever condition your right foot demands.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Nick is right, Fuel injectored engines are almost "bullet prooof" about starting from empty...Cycling the switch a couple of times is all it took to get my Jeep going after having to replace the fuel pump twice...

Older cars and bikes you could take the air breather off pour or shoot a little gas, or ether into the carbs a couple of times, just had to be careful not to spill gas on the engine...."Fire in the Hole"!!!!....

I have seen many times a lot of our members that ride a lot, carry a one gallon gas can, just in case they do get out where there might not be a station for miles away....This was one thing I loved about by old Suzuki, and my 1100's, if it gets low, switch it to reserve, and you have a few more extra miles to look for a station...It's happened to me more than once, drove into a station on fumes....I did run totally out once, I didn't switch that petcock to "run" left it on reserve and ran out thinkng I had reserve ...:?...Had my wife on the back totd her we had just ran out of gas, she said "I'm not some teenaged "Hottie", start walking....:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
I ran out of petrol on my 03 once and all I had to do after putting some in from a can was turn on the ignition, wait a couple of seconds for the pump to get the petrol up to the injectors, and press the starter button.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I ran out of petrol on my 03 once and all I had to do after putting some in from a can was turn on the ignition, wait a couple of seconds for the pump to get the petrol up to the injectors, and press the starter button.
Well Steve, That's because YOU...are a GOD !

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
Side note, alot of new cars are equipped with a 'returnless' style fuel injection. Instead of bleeding back unused fuel into the tank. The pump just constantly turns off and on to maintain correct fuel pressure for whatever condition your right foot demands.

Actually no, the pump does not cycle on and off. The pressure regulator is a relief valve built into the pump unit that just dump the excess out into the tank. Same as the older return system but without the extra line back from the fuel rail. Golwings still have the return from the rail though.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I have been really lucky in my travels as I have not run out of gas yet....the key word here is..."YET"...! I know sooner or later it will happen and I know its most likely going to happen at the sign post that says....turn right here to "somewhere" or turn left to "nowhere" or go straight to "god only knows where". Much of my travels take me into some fairly rough and remote places...places that are not for the faint of heart that's for bloody sure...! So how much do I ride, well lets see you tell me...I bought the bike new 2 years ago...it will be a full 2 years this May. It was new with ZERO on the clock and now it has 50,000 on it. So you tell me...do I ride or just go out for a Sunday drive around the park.

Now getting back to the running out of fuel thing. I know all to well that if you run a diesel out of fuel your going to have to crack some lines open and bleed it so that it will start again. Some are easy to do this with, and need just a little help...while other types are a real pain and you have to crack open all the injector lines to get all the air out before it will start. I worked on more then my fair share of diesel engines in my younger days....so I can safely say...been there, done that, and have the T shirt as they say.

However when it comes to gas engines, I am from the OLD SCHOOL...as in if its got a carb, great no problem. Fuel injection with gas engines is something I am not all that well versed in, so at times I wonder....so how does this or that or the other thing work...? However its very nice to know that if and when I should have to face that prospect of ending up running out of gas on the wing...that its not going to be a major production to get it up and running again once gas goes put in the tank again.

By the way...if you think YOU pay to much for gas, try this one for size and see how you like it. When I did stop at a gas station it was closed so I camped out right beside the pumps all night. In the morning I picked up some gas, not a full tank I could not afford to take out a second mortage on my home for a tank full. See this station was in the middle of nowhere and as such they know you will need gas, so you pay there price...or you can just push your car to the next station....its only like 300 miles or so down that old all gravel road they call a highway. So how much was the gas...? $2.80 per litre...that is for you in the US $10.58 per gallon...! Are we having fun yet...???? This is not costing you a arm and a leg...hell NO...the arm and leg is the down payment only...they got you by the balls and are squeezing good and hard...!

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Well Steve, That's because YOU...are a GOD !

Tak' no notice Steve, s'ok, they only wish they'd come up with all this themselves, running out of gas is a rookie thing that no-ones gonna admit was ever their fault!
All I gotta say is welcome back to the tech' forum, I personally have never seen you here before but after 6,000 odd posts and to still to emerge on here as the Leader takes some substance and says you must've really kicked some @$$, way back in the day Fella!!!!

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

One of these years if your up to it and want to a whole new perspective on riding and camping out in the great outdoors in just a tent...come on over to Canada I will gladly take you a near two month long touring ride that will cover some 15,000 to 18,000 Km's of Canada's Arctic areas like the Yukon and the North West Territories. A trip that you will never forget...!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Last summer I ran a diesel Kawasaki Mule out of fuel. I was kinda concerned I might have to jump through some hoops to get it started again but I just cycled the key a few times and it started right up.

I'm not sure on the Wing, but I've had a fuel pressure gauge on fuel injected Honda ATV's before and it took around 7 key cycles to bring the line pressure to near spec when the system was dry. Knowing this (and just out of curiousity) I've also tried dry starting the same models just by turning the key on and cranking...they start almost immediately.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
One of these years if your up to it and want to a whole new perspective on riding and camping out in the great outdoors in just a tent...come on over to Canada I will gladly take you a near two month long touring ride that will cover some 15,000 to 18,000 Km's of Canada's Arctic areas like the Yukon and the North West Territories. A trip that you will never forget...!
Thanks for the offer. We got as far as Niagra Falls a couple of years ago. This year it's Toronto. :)

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the offer. We got as far as Niagra Falls a couple of years ago. This year it's Toronto. :)
OK...but if you do change your mind...let me know. Don't wait toooo long, I am not getting any younger and I see in the not tooo distant future that I will not be able to do rides like those. This last one showed me that I no longer a spring chicken anymore. Still did very good, but I could tell my best years are well behind me now.... It really sucks to get old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.