Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:(My '04 Gl1800 saddle bags have developed a problem. They (but mostlythe right one) don't open 90% of the time when the release lever is pulled. All worked fine for the first 6 months. This problem is occurring in the summer months, so it's not related to a winter related 'stick' problem I've seen on other sites. I can open the saddle bag about 60% of the time, by pushing in hard on the cover, releasing the lever, then pulling the cover open. I have tried to adjust the metal catch loop inside the bag, but the problem is still here. The dealer has an incredibly long wait time to look at this, or I'd have taken it to him.

Any ideas on how to correct this is much apreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

There is a fairly recent service bulletin (number 15) for this. The whole lock assy will be replaced under warranty by your dealer so why bother messing with it. The service bulletin can be downloaded form this part of Steves site; http://homepage.eircom.net/~wingnut/1800%20Service%20Bulletins/1800SB15.pdf

Its only a 147kb download. The dealer will replace the mechanism in the trunk and early reports indicate that this is the proper fix and the locks all work perfectly after replacement. Much beter than all the other bodge jobs that just last a few months. If your dealer is too busy, perhaps he will get the replacement part and let you fit it yourself. As you will see in the service bulletin it is an easy job and takes less than an hour.

BTW, I see you just joined this mesage board. Welcome, I hope you enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

jerrylite, you should just ask the dealer to give you the part. He may be glad to do this as it will save him an hours work. Looking at the SB15 it seems an easy thing to replace.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem in Yorkshire last weekend and the solution was easy. Due to the fact that the panniers are slightly smaller and we tend to overpack them, the lock hinge tends to bend under the pressure when we close it. I closed mine until it was just slightly open and looked in with a mini maglight. I noted that the lock was not lining up correctly with the entry to the lock mechanism and if there is the slighest rub at all, it will open at the lock but the lock rubbingwill not allow the piston to openthe doorsmoothly. After a number of attempts it finally opened and I removed the lock pins on the door itself. I noted they had become slightly bend under the pressure of a slightly overpacked pannier, which prevented them from entering the lock correctly dead centre without rubbing. Using pliers I straightened them and replaced them. Result was the door is now opening smooth as silk again. It is imortant that the lock on the door is entering the actual locking mechanism smoothly dead centre and you can feel no rubbing as you close it into the lock, as this appears to be stopping it from opening smoothly. I would have a look and try adjusting the lock pins first as it solved my door that wouldn't open. For a bike costing over £17,000 the lock pins are a disgrace and with constant adjustment will weaken and more than likely eventually break. They are much to thin and weak, bending at the slightest pressure on them.

If this doesn't solve your problem then it is a new lock under warranty as the others so rightly indicate. :)

As a little footnote I have contacted my dealer and order the new part myself. What I did in Yorkshire should not have been neccessary and I thank other members including Steve Saunders for the info.Particularly the part number of the required item thatI was able to give my dealer who knew absolutely nothing about the problem.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Jason, thanks so much for your speedy reply that appears to have hit my problem right on the head! I will order the SB15 from the dealer if they'll allow it, or schedule time to have them install it.

Also thanks tothe others who replied as well.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.