Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've just been doing some service items on my 1800, some overdue according to Honda. I have just under 20,000 miles on it. I dove in to chancing the air filter, not all that bad a job really but surely they could have made it more accessible. It's supposed to be changed at 12,000 but I knew that was crazy. It would have gone to 30,000 easily enough. I also had bought a set of spark plugs so I pulled one and you wouldn't know it hadn't been changed last week.I put it back in. This silliness and the want you to change oil every 8,000 miles.:baffled: So according to Honda if I had it serviced at the dealer it would have it's first oil change at 4k miles then at 12k it would get an oil change and air filter then at 16k spark plugs, no oil change until 20k then at 24 it would get an air filter again, final drive oil, brake and clutch fluid and coolant, no oil change. I think they used the wheel of fortune to come up with these intervals to keep the dealer service departments in the black. The only one of thes items I sort of agree with is the final drive oil at 24k. The oil I change at 1/2 the recommended interval, the rest I will adjust to more reasonable mileages or time intervals.

I know, this is going to be moved. I thought I was on the general forum when I posted it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well I disagree with some of it too, and some of it disagrees with me. :)

The one big thing I have found very interesting with the 1800 is there is no service interval or even mention of service of the main drive shaft in any service manual. It does have a sealed universal so that is a no brainer, but you do have main splines at each end, the moly grease even though it is there when it looks like it is not, does need to be replaced every so often.

On other bikes I have had, this was always mentioned, and some even have grease pressure fittings to service them with.

So??? Anyway I figure one should at 30,000 miles plus or minus some, during a tire change, unbolt the rear drive , the right muffler and the rear caliper and pull the drive out and inspect it, I plan to, may need it, may not, we will see when we get that far.
I used to do that to most bikes every other tire change and the grease would be melted away and the splines completely dry. So I suspect the same with this one.

Could be this is based on the life of the sealed universal. The drive is easily replaced, so? The one thing that is not easily replaced is the output shaft, so yep I think I will go in at 30,000 and take care of that.

Kit

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I find that the spark plugs are cheap. Ichange themabout every 25k. Only thing I noticed is the gap opens a bit. Rear drive oil... there is hardly any in there when full, so that gets changed about every 10k. I change oil and filter every 5k. And I also found the air filter near clean at 24k. Do all my own repairs and maintenence.

The biggest thing about Honda recommended service, is getting something into their computer for warrentee purposes. I had them do the 4k check and service. Also the 35k service and check valve clearances.... by the way were all within spec's. I just don't want them to have the option to deni a repair because there was no record of servicing.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I think they used the wheel of fortune to come up with these intervals to keep the dealer service departments in the black.
Amen to that brother!

Chevy is the same way, both our trucks they wanted to change air filter at 20,000 and charged me $65 each for part. I had them dig up the old one which had barely any dust on it and told them to put it back in.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

I'm glad somebody else is thinking like me, these were the type of responses that I expected when I posed a similiar question last week about doing your own service.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.