Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

the switch(s) that confirms the saddle bags or side covers are closed needs to be adjusted, i have to slam them closed way to hard to get the dash light to go off, can anyone enlighten me as to where they are and if they are adjustable?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
There is a tiny bit of adjustment to the U shaped pieces that the latch actually grabs. I played with it for a while to get it right on mine. If you don't have enough play on the U piece you could take a dremel and elongate the holes that it mounts with.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mike,

Thanks for that info..... i adjusted it to its max and it is MUCH better...it still needs a decent motion for it to make the switch but nothing like before.....i think i'll elongate the brackets a little (as you suggested) so its even easier. i'd like to add a led light to come on when the door is open, do you know if the switch wiring is routed under the seat? i may be able to use the same (existing) switch to control the led lights...

thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
IDK where the wiring is but I would suspect under the seat. You may be able to get the color from the manual and then try to trace it. Why an LED if you already have the display? Adding an LED shouldn't be too difficult. If you find the correct circuit you could do it easily with a relay. I doubt I'd try to power the LED with the signal the dash display gets. It may cause something else to go haywire.

I still have to thump my right cover once in a while but it only takes a bump that I can do from the riding position :)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike,
I probably was not very clear, I'm looking to add to lighting so we (me and my wife) can see in the saddle bags and rear trunk when its dark outside, I figured that the switch is perfect timing wise to power the lights, i'm thinking that some of the newer low power "led" strips would work nicely, although i don't know for sure if the switch has power when the key is off, if i find the wires i'll have to test for that. otherwise i will have to mount a separate switch to turn the lights on. thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I have LED strip lights in my trunk and I just wired them to my aux fuse panel that is powered when the ign or acc is on. They are super low amp draw and they build up virtually no heat. They are a great add on. I have some more that I plan on adding to the saddle bags.

I doubt if I'd fool around with the factory wiring. You could also add in a merc switch from an old thermostat to turn them on.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
You didn't mention what year you have, could make a difference in the wiring. The switches close to ground when open so you could run power to the LEDs and tap into the wiring to the switches so the lights would come on when you open the bags. Then it's like the light in the refrigerator, is it really off when the door is closed?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Dave,

its a 2001, thats exactly what i was hoping to do, just have to find the wires, i'll take the seat off and see if i can find the wires for the saddle bag switches.

thanks,

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Remove the rear fender and the connectors are there. A 3 pin red and a 3 pin blue. A brown/red wire in each one.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i removed the plastic cover inside the saddle bag cover (pannier?) that covers the switch and it seems like the circuit is dead when the door is open.....so i'll have to find a power source for my led's, not a problem.... rigging a switch, that will be more challenging....maybe i'll see if i can add a physical switch instead of using existing items.........

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW my new windshield will arrive this Thursday....trying to decide if i want to ride when its cold out.....my plan is a $65 walmart suit, if i like it i'll go for the heated gear....maybe i'll only lose 3 months in new England....

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
There is no power on that circuit, it is just a ground signal to the display. You use it as a ground for the LEDs and provide power from elsewhere. The only problem with using direct battery power is making sure the lids are closed before leaving it sit for long periods because it would run the battery down after several days if both latches are not closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.