Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GL1800 Slipping Out of Gear Into Neutral

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Longboater 
#1 ·
imported post

So.... does this happen to anyone else?? My bike is a 2006 GL1800 PremAudio/Comfort/Navi model. Since the day I rolled it off of the showroom floor the transmission would, every now and again, slip out of 2nd gear into neutral. I thought at first it wasoperator error due to the fact that this was a departure my what I've been riding. But I started to take note of when this would happen.

1. Only when it's cold outside(around 35F or below)and the bike is cold.

2.When the tach is between 1.5K and 2K rpm's, roll off thethrottle hard and right back on.

Once the bikeis up to full operating temp, I can't recreate the slip. I use Repsol 10W40synthetic oil, which by the oil industry standard should flow freely through the engine oncold startup dow to -15F.

It doesn't happen that often now that I now what condition cause it. It can still be a little unnerving if upon leaving worktrafficget the accordian effect going at the first couple of intersection I go through. There's nothing worse then losing control power when you're pinched between cars.

So I ask again, does this happen to anyone else??

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

I have the identical bike to you and I have never had this happen in 43000 km. I mean never, not once.

I use Delo 400 now, before that I used Rotella 15W-40, and before that Honda GN40, and although the oil makes a marked difference to how smoothly the shifter operates, there has never been a problem with coming out of gear.

Do you always wear the same footwear? The shape of the toe and the stiffness of the material can have a significant effect on shifting.

#5 ·
imported post

Hey:

Your bike is a 2006, is it still under warranty? Hopefully so, if so take it to a dealer and get the situation documented. Get your concerns on file.

The rare and occasional bike will have a transmission problem. It seems like more have it than do simply because of posts on trouble forums. But some do have a legitimate problem. The symptoms are like you have described, and slipping out of fifth gear during deceleration and a false neutral sometimes.

It took me a couple years to figure it out, and there are so many ideas about it from oil type to if you have a heel/toe shift to whatever. But oil is oil is oil and has no bearing on it whatever and some that have the problem have a heel/toe shift and some do not. Most everyone takes care of their bike and most are experienced riders and do not sit at a stop light trying to downshift three gears at the stop. So you can eliminate all those things.

To keep it simple, the rotational gears in the transmission, have 4 lugs or dogs on the side of the gear that the shift fork moves to the stationary drive gears and main output shaft. Quite simply some bikes have too much tolerance in the mating of these shift gears to the stationary gear. Under deceleration especially with a bit of wear the gear tends to pop out of the stationary gear and slip. May do it a few times, and this when it pops out with force is what is bending the shift fork. Once the fork gets bent, and combined with the wear on that particular gear and the fact that now it will not mate, you get the classical transmission failure.

When you go to the shop, they simply tell you the shift fork is bent.

If yours is becoming chronic, this is what is up. Took me a couple years to figure out the why.

Your doing this when cold makes sense to me, as it warms a bit and as the metal expands a few thousandths, is enough to properly mate and not slip. Excess tolerance on some bikes is the cause of the whole situation. This is just my opinion, others may vary, but I do think I am on the right track.

Glad you got your fuel mileage situation figured out.

Kit

#7 ·
imported post

Occasionally mine does it when I miss shift. In my case oil doesn't seem to have any baring on it, just me.

Kit had issues with his new 1800 and wrote up a thread which I believe resulted in an improper clutch assembly. Check out Kit Carson's threads on this subject.

Longboater

#10 ·
imported post

Globetrotter, thanks for forwarding that site. Most informative.

Longboater,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.