Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2006 1800 and the book calls for changing the sprak plugs at 16,000 miles. In this day when many engines go 100,000 miles between spark plug changes this seem ridiculous. Yes, yes I know it is cheap and easy but... Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I would be afraid of not being able to get the plugs back out again without taking part of the head if I left them in for 100,000 miles. I use anti seize. No problems so far. The 1500 just starts better when the weather turns cool, like fall, if I change them every 40K or so.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I had the dealer do all the maintenance at first so mine were changed at just under 18,000 when I got back from a trip. After that the next time they were changed was at 62,000+. I still have them because they look almost as good as the new ones I put in.

No build up, only slight beige color change to the ceramic and no apparent wear on the electrodes.

Unless I have a issue I'll probably just check them when I hit 100,000 and go from there.

I do have to admit the plugs were fairly inexpensive, so it won't hurt your pocket book to much to change them out.

Henry

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

I don't know why they do that other than to get you into the dealer. They will go 30,000 and still look new. Same with the air filter they recommend changing at 12,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I pulled mine at 16K. They looked OK, but I did change over to 7EIX Iridiums as the price was ridiculously low at the time. I checked them at 34K (50K on the bike) and re-gapped to spec all OK.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

16,000 mile is good for standard plugs, and they are cheap enough to. All the 50,000 mile plugs cost a lot more.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Wilson02 wrote:
16,000 mile is good for standard plugs, and they are cheap enough to. All the 50,000 mile plugs cost a lot more.
Huh?

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Wilson02 wrote:
Huh?
I believe Wilson02 is talking about Iridium plugs. I have installed Iridium's and the engine seems to fire right off, even after 35,000 miles on these plugs.

Corventure Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.