Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend call me to help with a ’02 1800, I’m fairly good at wrenching the 1500, but no idea about the 1800.

The problem is that during a ride the motor just quit, hauled it to the shop (that’s keeping service of his bikes over 20 years), they “fixed it”, went out for a ride and within 5 Mi, motor quits again. Took it back to shop, and now after 3 months they couldn't find the problem.

My question is if a scanner can provide a report like:

• Detect a malfunction of ECU?
  • Detect malfunction of injection system or component?
  • Detect a loose connection in the ignition circuit?
  • Is there a record of the shut downs?
  • Can provide a full report of the conditions of the bike?
  • Anything that help to fix it?
I want to thank you all for all or any input that may lead to a solution.

Mario

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
How many miles? Does the owner or the repair shop have a service manual? The manual has a method to retrieve the stored codes. No scanner required.

There have been a number of reports of older GL1800 beginning to have ECU failures. Hopefully that's not it.

Reactions: Gipsy42

·
Administrator
27,925 Posts
A friend call me to help with a ’02 1800, I’m fairly good at wrenching the 1500, but no idea about the 1800.

The problem is that during a ride the motor just quit, hauled it to the shop (that’s keeping service of his bikes over 20 years), they “fixed it”, went out for a ride and within 5 Mi, motor quits again. Took it back to shop, and now after 3 months they couldn't find the problem.

Mario
As far as I know the scanner won't work on 01-04 models, only flash codes with the FI light & only faults in the engine control system. I suspect the kill switch or the bank angle sensor. For the flash codes start the engine with the side stand down & don't touch the throttle or if it won't start crank the engine for 10 seconds, it may flash a code for a faulty component but I doubt it has a bad component.

Reactions: Gipsy42

·
Premium Member
43 Posts

Mario
The 2002 is not OBD2 and the scan tool that Honda has only reads the codes and clears them. No smart data like auto systems. My guess would be a meltdown of C5 causing a loss of power for the FI system. This is a common issue with the 01-08 models. The 09 and up have improved connectors that don’t develop the issue. Nice to Know Stuff, C5 and C25 To troubleshoot this issue, we need to know what his symptoms are right after the shutdown? Does the FI light come on with the key, does the fuel pump run when it comes on, does it fire right back up or does it crank and no start until etc…..? Something to try, start it, let it idle for a minute or two, then tap on the top of the kill switch and see if it stumbles or dies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts