Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good Morning, Afternoon....

Im new here from Prestonsburg kentucky...Appalachain Mnts.

I have a 2001 GL1800 Goldwing that I recently bought. To the point: It turns over but does not start...and when turning the ignition to the ON position and pressing the reverse button, the orange indicator does not turn on. I went through the book and still having a problem.

Any suggestions? :stumped:

Thanks,

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You need a good battery for the GL1800 to start. If the battery isn't fully charged, it will turn the motor over but still not start, and it may make the dash lights misbehave.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

D-Rod is right, on my 1800 I have to have the bike running and in neutral with the side stand up before it will go into reverse. You can however shut the bike off at this point and it will stay in reverse. Then when you turn it on again you will have to take it out of reverse before it will crank over. I use this to secure my bike in hotel parking lots.

My 1800 will start with a battery as low as 10.8V (barely turned over but started). Kept swapping batteries with another bike when his alternator went bad on a trip to Alaska.

Are you getting spark at the plugs. Pull one of them out and with it grounded to the bike turn the engine over. Look for spark at the plug tip. Let us know what you find.

Before all of this happened did the FI light turn on??

By the way, welcome to the site!! Stick around we'll get you running and enjoying your bike!!

Henry

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome one_and_done81[/align]

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

Do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds after you turn the switch on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.