Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know where I can get the tapered steering head bearings for my GL1800? I can't remember where I seen them before and I want to replace the original ball type bearings while my forks are out for new seals ina couple of weeks.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I belive they are called ALL BALLS, Where do you live? maybe someone in the area can help you. Good Luck

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey GWEddie, :action:How can anyone help you when you wont tell anyone where you live. :whip: Come on, get your act together where the hell do you live.:whip:

:baffled: :18red: :baffled:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey GWEddie, :action:How can anyone help you when you wont tell anyone where you live. :whip: Come on, get your together where the hell do you live.:whip:

:baffled: :18red: :baffled:
Hey Redwing, with all the time off you have had lately I would of thought you would be more tolerant. :shock::shock::shock:Maybe the pressure of trying so hardto be a Guru is starting to effect your perspective. So at the next Guru's BBQ I am going to askif you can be given Guru status based onmental compassion needs. Sort of a"Ya,hoo Gu,ru." :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'm from Lexington, Nebraska and it's middle of the night now. It's the All Balls bearings I need. A link to their site would be fine. The front end of the 1800 looks easy enough to strip down, so I'll go the whole way and do the bearings, fork oil and brake pads together.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
I'm from Lexington, Nebraska and it's middle of the night now.
Hey GWEddie, :waving:Why dont you completeyour location on your profile and then everyone will know where your from each time you post. :clapper:Ride Safe.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

Why should he, one of our members won't tell us where the Isle of Woman is!!!

:whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hey Redwing, why not tell us where you are from in your profile, so the search party will look on the right island next time ya get lost! :D

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The Isle Of Women is ...... Well, it's located near....... You can see it from....

Actually,,

The weather is always partly to mostly sunny with a gentle southwesterly breeze and temperatures in the low to mid 80's every single day. There's never a rain storm or harsh winds and the sea is as smooth as glass. You can go fishing, scuba diving, swimming, boating hiking or just lay around on the beautiful white sand beaches. There are no shortages of food or beverage, it's all free. There are green forests and no flies, mosquitos, rodents, insects or mud. We can't quite figure out how all the young, gorgeous, talented & sweet smelling women get there, but who cares. Goldwings are free and you can ride all you want without paying for the gas. If you want an older model, they are completely restored to like new condition & ready to ride. There are only two rules: "You can do anything you want,just don't hurt anyone", and "the Isle location must be kept secret forever". :D

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

GWEddie wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get the tapered steering head bearings for my GL1800? I can't remember where I seen them before and I want to replace the original ball type bearings while my forks are out for new seals ina couple of weeks.
The aftermarketreplacement ones are actually ball types Eddie. I would have thought tapered ones would be better, after all Honda ditched the ball types in the GL1000 for tapered ones later on. The tapered bearings are supposed to spread the load over a wider area of the race insert, instead of wearing on a narrower area like ball bearings do.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's hard to see how you can adjust the loading on ball bearings, any side load on them tend to make the balls ride on the side of their groove. Can't see how you can beat Timken taper bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The only advantage to balls is that the steering can be lighter, with tapered ones the turning effort is a slight bit more (probably not so much taht you would notice it). Balls wear out the race faster as the load is concentrated on one narrow line around the race, tapered bearings spread the load better. Tapered bearings can be adjusted much more precisely as well. Lots of old time engineers who work in Eircom reckon that French bearings are top quality when they are available here.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Honda has taken e few steps backwards with regardto this, :whip:and used technology from the early '70's for the top line tourer. :baffled:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.