Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK< I am considering a new upgrade for my 2007 GL1800. My installer will build custom fiberglass box into side saddles, with 6" sub woofer. This will take up approximately 20% of the saddle space. Perfect for me. Then install Rockford Fosgate marine amps to drive the subs, and 4 new arc audio speakers for front and rear. My question here is, can the factory amp speaker outputs to speakers be converted to line outs with converter as input for new amp? Or, are the outputs from the head unit line out signals already?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
It can be done but you will have to cut/splice into the outputs as the whole unit is sealed and the connectors are Honda only types.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
there is another option which I had done for a buddy who was did the same sort of mods....on a budget, errr, nickle & dime sorta thing.
make yourself a wiring harness consisting of 8 speaker wires for the front, 8 for the rear. From the front you'll want standard issue speaker gauge wires plugged into the factory harness which will run to the Amp, from the amp, larger gauge wires going back to the speakers. Ditto for the rear speakers.
Doing it this way does have a slight advantage, too. In the event that you decide to remove the stereo upgrades or whatever, you can return the bike to factory conditions without having to repair any of the factory speaker wires.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
To turn the amp outputs back into line level I think you need a device called a voltage divider...at least that's what the very old device I have from Kenwood is called. I'm sure there are some electronic whizzos on this forum who can provide more precise information and some pointers to current products (maybe Wayne from Sierra Electronics? http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/88774-wayne.html )

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sierra electronic is of no help. They wouldnt comment saying they want nothing to do with that kind of modification. But the idea, to use amp outputs, connect converter to change to line signal, run to new amp, then run new wires to speakers and/or use plug in connection to allow returning system to factory setup by switching 2 plugs.

The sound will be a lot hotter. The custom sub woofer will make if bump. All with only using the corner of each side saddle bag. I will report back when completed!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
After a bit more searching, it seems that another name for the device we're talking about is "Line Output Converter". Here's one: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html

I can understand someone's opinion being that your upgrade is not worthwhile, particularly on a motorcyle, however not wanting "to comment" or "have anything to do with it" seems a bit unfriendly. Hopefully just a misunderstanding.

I think the most valuable elements of the 1500 factory stereo (and I would hope the 1800 has equivalent features) are the "AMB" and automatic volume circuits, which seem to do most of the work to allow you to hear the stereo above engine and wind noise. Keeping the factory stereo in the loop and retaining those two features seems, to me, to justify your approach to such an upgrade.

Personally, I think Honda (and/or Panasonic) put together a package on the 1500 which works already very well, albeit below, say, 70 mph (I should point out that I only wear an open-face helmet). Above this speed I don't usually bother with trying to listen to any music. It seems to me what people report dissatisfaction with the most on these bikes is the poor condition of their factory speakers and therefore they try to replace them, with varying degrees of success. So far my factory speakers seem to have stood the test of time quite well considering the conditions they've been subjected to over the years.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear (literally) what your upgrade sounds like. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After a bit more searching, it seems that another name for the device we're talking about is "Line Output Converter". Here's one: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4/Scosche-SLC4.html

I can understand someone's opinion being that your upgrade is not worthwhile, particularly on a motorcyle, however not wanting "to comment" or "have anything to do with it" seems a bit unfriendly. Hopefully just a misunderstanding.

I think the most valuable elements of the 1500 factory stereo (and I would hope the 1800 has equivalent features) are the "AMB" and automatic volume circuits, which seem to do most of the work to allow you to hear the stereo above engine and wind noise. Keeping the factory stereo in the loop and retaining those two features seems, to me, to justify your approach to such an upgrade.

Personally, I think Honda (and/or Panasonic) put together a package on the 1500 which works already very well, albeit below, say, 70 mph (I should point out that I only wear an open-face helmet). Above this speed I don't usually bother with trying to listen to any music. It seems to me what people report dissatisfaction with the most on these bikes is the poor condition of their factory speakers and therefore they try to replace them, with varying degrees of success. So far my factory speakers seem to have stood the test of time quite well considering the conditions they've been subjected to over the years.

Anyway I'd be interested to hear (literally) what your upgrade sounds like. Good luck with it.
I agree with your assessment. And Sierra not commenting, well that was pretty much my position, as not professional. The line converter is what I need and will complete the install soon. I will post a sound byte on here once completed.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I agree with your assessment. And Sierra not commenting, well that was pretty much my position, as not professional. The line converter is what I need and will complete the install soon. I will post a sound byte on here once completed.
Since it's difficult to convey how a stereo sounds, and assuming it's not too late, I would suggest "before" and "after" recordings with the same tune in the same conditions so that they can be compared. Cheers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Complete

Stereo upgrade complete. Installed arc audio speakers in front and rear, kicker 6" sub in custom fiberglass box, 2 Rockford Fosgate to drive it all. Will add better cooling in coming weeks. That will consist of 2 cooling fans mounted on passenger pockets blowing in and through trunk compartment. System sounds night and day better. Hard to tell on video, but wow what a difference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/do44ao0445cy3qj/Goldwing b4.mov

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnrl1rynamljmhj/Goldwing after.mov

Attachments

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
You're right, difficult to tell with this microphone, but I'm sure it's great and nice looking bike too. Thanks for sharing this. I like the track...who's it by?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're right, difficult to tell with this microphone, but I'm sure it's great and nice looking bike too. Thanks for sharing this. I like the track...who's it by?
That song is by the Isley brothers, titled "The heat is on". Released in approximately 1977.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I listened to both tracks wearing earbuds, amazing difference!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:
I gotta say I really don't like being forced to listen to someone's idea of music when stopped next to them in traffic. My hope is that people with that booming base crap emanating from their vehicle will go deaf as soon as possible. I really don't understand why they think their choice of music is pleasant to everyone around them or why anyone nearby wants their hearing damaged by such offensive noise. I'd rather be caught behind half a dozen Harleys than listen to vehicular boom boxes.
:lash::lash::lash::lash::lash::lash:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.