Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this has been talked about somewhere else on this forum but I did a search and can not find it. I have found a few threads that talk about taking the cluster apart but I haven't seen any instructions on how to do that.
I have a 2004 1800 and the reverse and cruse switches are very sticky and in fact they are stuck. I have taken off the 2 screws from the bottom of the cluster but are there more screws to take off? I couldn't find any. The top part of the cluster won't come off the handle bar. Is there a trick to this? Once I get this apart then I think I am on my way to taking a closer look at the actual switches.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My wing is now down. Sad thing.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I use electrical contact cleaner, some use wd-40 but it attracts dirt and doesn't last long. As you said there are posts on pulling apart the switches , cleaning the old grease out and re greasing them. Most said to use a gallon freezer bag to catch the small springs inside the switches.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
imported post

Same issue I had with my 1500 but it was the cruise main, stereo mute and 4 way flasher switches. I used silicone based lube and freed it up only to have it stick again in a week. It is cold here now and they usually behave better when it's warmer. A little research taught me that there is a wide variation of what people state works for them. I ended up at Radio Shack. Bought TV Tuner Switch cleaner ($11.99 a month ago) product number 64-4315 and actually is labeled on the can as Control/Contact Cleaner and Lubricant. They offer several product that are similar but this is the only one I tried and it indicates it is ok to get on plastic. I took good measure to keep it off the paint. I also bought a can of compressed air. It took a lot of patience but I applied a little cleaner and worked the stuck button for over 20 minutes before it released once. I blew out the cleaner with the compressed air and pushed the switch again and it stuck again. Apply, manipulate, blow out, repeat..... Even when it starts to work better I repeated several more times. By the end the operation was nice and crisp. I always ended with blowing out the switch. I applied the cleaner above and to the side of the switch with the supplied tube, attempting to direct the cleaner in alongside the switch. Others have stated they now do this as a preemptive measure during the season. I suspect I will do the same.

I would be interested to hear if you try this and how it goes. I only bought my bike in early December 2011 so I have no long term experience with this.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

I had a similar problem. I used CRC contact cleaner and after several applications switches are free and working well.

P.S. As stated above, make sure to protect painted areas. I just covered the whole side of my bike with plastic to catch any drips or over spray.

:action: Scooby

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

I also have a problem with the cruise control switch on my '05 GL . My problem is that the switch does not stay in the 'on' mode. If I hold it in, the cruise engage light comes on, but the switch won't stay in.

Any suggestions to clear up this problem? Or will I have to replace the switch?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Clean it too. Same problem, dirt & old grease.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

These are all great replies guys but how do you get the top and bottom of the switch off the handlebars? I have taken out the two screws on the bottom and the bottom is loose but the top is very tight. Is there something holding it to the handlebars? I hate to pry and brake something.

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
imported post

Newday

That was great information you brought up..

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not sure which posts in the past I have given this tip out on, so here it is again.
After squirting your contact cleaner of choice onto the offending switch, ( it can be any one that is playing up on any bike), use your thumb nail to click the edge of the switch sharply, the same as using one tiddley wink to snap another tiddly wink, in the game of the same name. this "shock treatment" has worked more than once in clearing sticking switches for me and had no further problem with them there after.

:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

My 2004 GW also has a sticking cruise button though mine is stuck in the on position. Also my lights are out on the side. I got a new bulb but have also not yet been able to figure out how to take that apart. Would be nice if someone somewhere knew.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Directions above on switches.
First we'd have to know exactly which side lights/bulb you are asking about?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

In my case. None of the controls on the side cluster light up. That would be the cruise and reverse cluster. Zero light. 04 so they are supposed to light. I have a replacment bulb but like the OP I can not figure out how to get this taken apart so I can both replace the bulb and take a look at the cruise switch. I can maybe fix the cruise switch with just the contact cleaner without taking it apart as said above, but that wont help with the bulb :)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

OK. That's why we need specifics.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

theonegod wrote:
In my case. None of the controls on the side cluster light up. That would be the cruise and reverse cluster. Zero light. 04 so they are supposed to light. I have a replacment bulb but like the OP I can not figure out how to get this taken apart so I can both replace the bulb and take a look at the cruise switch. I can maybe fix the cruise switch with just the contact cleaner without taking it apart as said above, but that wont help with the bulb :)
Theonegod, I was able to get it apart a little. Once you take out the 2 screws on the bottom you can pry it slightly apart. Then under the top half there is a metal strap that is held on with 1 screw. Take that screw out and you can get some more room. Then looking at the wire harness there are two screws holding it in place. If you take those out you will have more room to work although it will still be tight. I would not do the route that is in the link you just posted as that has you taking everything off and i don't believe it is necessary for your repair. Who knows.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.