Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All, ...

My 2007 Airbag Goldwing, with 15,000 well-cared for miles, went to the dealer after a recent 5,000 mile trip to get front and rear brakes and an oil change. All systems were working perfectfully when delivered to the dealer. When I returned to pick up the wing a day later, the left-side handle bar switches that turn-on all audio systems to the am-fm radio, the intercom, and the audio for the GPS do not work. The radio does not come on.

The brakes work fine and the bike runs fine, however, nothing audio comes on. The dealer says they did nothing to make the systems go bad. Question: When changing or accessing the front and rear brakes, does the battery have to be disconnected so to not short the ABS sensor or the AirBag sensors? Are there pre-sets that are eliminated if the battery is disconnected?

Also, the dealer had the bike parked in the rain when I can to pick up the bike. My wing has never been in the rain, so could the rain have shorted the audio? I went immediately home and tried to dry the switches with an air compressor and a short of WD-40. I then waited three additional days for the systems to "dry out", howver they still don't come on.

Are there fuses to just the audio? Any ideas? Please advise. Any tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Is the dealer blowing smoke up my skirt? Thank you.

rreschran

Alpine, California

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. I can't give you any educated advise on the 1500 but I'm sure someone who can will be chiming in shortly. You've come to the best resource available, hang in there....

Steve

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

They would not have needed to mess with anything electrical to install new brake pads. The fuse that powers the radio and nav (#25) also powers other things like the turn signals, suspension control, trunk lock and accessory power. Check fuse #31 also, memory power.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the welcome and for the advice on fuses. Tomorrow, I'm gonna' clean off my best pair of glasses and get into the fuse box. I appreciate your fast response.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I forgot to ask, ... are the switches on the goldwing succeptible to moisture problems like I described? One would think that modern goldwing's and today's technology would hedge against water leakage. Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Mine has been rained on several times with no ill effects. I never use a hose or car wash to wash it but can't avoid being caught out in the rain and ride all I want. Really dust causes more switch problems than water.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

I ride in torrential downpours and wash the bike with a hose. Have had no problems with the switchgear.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hi All, ... I pulled the audio head unit to ensure that all the plugs were dry and were plugged in. After re-assembly, the audion, intercome, and GPS audio are not working. I pulled all the fuses and they are all good. I disconnected the battery hoping for a re-set, but to no avail. Although I feel the problem was created at the dealer, I'mm hesitant to return to them. Any further advice? Can you tell me what the exact name of the part is with all the knobs for the radio and stations? I've heard it referred to as the "Audio Head Unit". Is that accurate? Thanks again for your responses. I appreciate your time and effort to help me trouble shoot this problem/

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Is there anything else not working, it would help to diagnose the problem.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi Dave, ... as far as the other switches in that same panel. the 4-way flashers and the lower fog light switches are working fine. ONLY the audio side of the swich panel do not work to include the am-fm radio, intercom, and the GPS audio. The switch box is dry and I unplugged and replugged all of the colorcoded wire plugs to ensure they are tughtly plugged in. Me? Perplelxed to say the least. Thanks Dave for taking your time to ponder this problem. The dealership to this problem say, ... "This is a typical problem for the Goldwing". I'am not buying it.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

I was not referring to the switches on that panel working or not. There are several things on the circuit for the audio system as I mentioned earlier. If everything else is working it is either a bad connection at C25 under the seat near the relay box or or C17 under the right fairing pocket or there is a problem with the audio unit. Not a common problem though, very few if any failures have been reported on this forum. They would have to have worked pretty hard getting to something to cause a problem but who knows if they are unscrupulous enough to switch your unit with a bad one.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

Welcome. I have a 2006 1800 by most parts list we have the same audio setup. The work on brakes should not have messed with the audio unless you had an airfilter change. Check and see if you have the buttion for intercom deprested on the panel if so you wont hear anything unless pluged in. On the navi do you get the screen but no sound?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Hi Dave, ... thanks for your reply. Yes, the NAV works fine. The NAV has no audio when plugged in. From what I understand, ... all of the audio components will not come on unless the am-fm "ON" button is activates to power the rest. Makes sense to me, ... but where can I check past the audio power if the fuses are proper and working? I'll have to ask about the air filter. If they did remove the filter, how would that effect the audio? Please advise. Thank you and have a great weekend.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hi Tom, ... thanks for your reply and I appreciate you sending the diagram of the component plugs. I removed the entire system to look and ensure that everything was plugged in completely. That being said, ... they system still does not work. I've called the dealership at the parts counter and they suggested I go on-line and research the exact part number. I'll need to spend some time on-line to see if I can locate a direct power source and identify exactly what part needs to be ordered. The dealer charges $97 per hour just top diagnose, even if I feel it was their fault for the system going down. Any other advise will be helpful in my quest to get the audio back and working properly. I'll keep you informed. Thank you all for your assistance and comments inhelping me try to identify the problem. Have a great and safe (riding)Thanksgiving holiday.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome rreschran[/align]

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hey Dave 0430, ... In you first post back to me, you mentioned if an "unscrupulous(tech?)enough to switch your unit with a bad one." Is this something that happened to you or did you hear of that happening? I spoke to another service writere today and he stated that "the rain should not have caused the unit to go out". I believe the dealership be a reputable business as they have demonstrated the same in the past, ... now only time will tell. Thanks Dave.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

rreschran wrote:
Hey Dave 0430, ... In you first post back to me, you mentioned if an "unscrupulous(tech?)enough to switch your unit with a bad one." Is this something that happened to you or did you hear of that happening? I spoke to another service writere today and he stated that "the rain should not have caused the unit to go out". I believe the dealership be a reputable business as they have demonstrated the same in the past, ... now only time will tell. Thanks Dave.
No it has not happened to me nor have I heard of it happening but it could and probably has happened. If your dealer seems reputable then it probably did not happen.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hi Dave0430, ... Thanks for your message back. I've spent considerable time with pulling the audio head controls on the left side of the fairing and ensured that all of the fuses are working and the wiring is plugged in at the color coded wiring connectors. Still Nothing. So I went back to all of the responses that members have sent me and r e-read your earlier post stating, "If everything else is working it is either a bad connection at C25 under the seat near the relay box or or C17 under the right fairing pocket or there is a problem with the audio unit."

Would you please tell me more about C25 and C17? For C25, does the seat have to be removed and are the wiring/plugs numbered? What reference book would you recommend that I purchased my mechanical knowledge on the 07 Goldwing?

Thank you again for your time and effort in helping me solve or correctly diagnose the unit.

rreschran
Alpine, California

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.