Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.
I have a 2006 1800 that tries to tickover at 350rpm, needless to say it keeps stalling when slowing down. I have tried the reset thing when you take the battery off for 10 mins then let tickover till fans come in but made no difference.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Bash

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Can this be done with the throttle body on the bike or does the throttle body need to be removed first?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Is it showing any codes?

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
Can this be done with the throttle body on the bike or does the throttle body need to be removed first?
Maybe but would be easier to just remove it, you have to remove the fuel tank and air box anyway. Might be worth a try to spray carb cleaner in it with the engine running but I never had much luck with that on Honda cars with the almost exact same valve.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Be careful cleaning it, there’s a moly coating that is black and looks like soot in the barrels, it’s supposed to be there and carb cleaner will remove it.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Be careful cleaning it, there’s a moly coating that is black and looks like soot in the barrels, it’s supposed to be there and carb cleaner will remove it.
I have heard of throttle bodies that didn't like carb cleaners because of a composite nickel and teflon lubricant. Can't imagine why you would add a lubricant to a valve that rarely even closes. The ones I have seen and taken apart look like steel or maybe stainless steel. The IAC pintle really never needs to seal.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
  1. So finally got the bike back and have checked the iac valve and that's nice and clean. Have now done a diagnostic check and i get 19,12,13,14,15,16,17.
  2. I only have a standard volt meter so is there any way I can check the ckp with that. The bike runs spot on higher in the revs but haynes is telling me it won't start.
  3. Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
If it runs the CKP is obviously OK. Try erasing the codes and check again.
To erase the DTC without HDS, refer to the following procedure.
How to erase the DTC with SCS connector
1. Remove the seat (page 3-8).
2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
3. Remove the dummy connector and short the Brown and Green wire
terminals of the DLC using the special tool.
SCS CONNECTOR
TOOL:
SCS connector
070PZ-ZY30100
CONNECTION: Brown – Green
4. Make sure the engine stop switch is turned to “ “ and turn the igni-
tion switch to ON.
5. Remove the special tool from the DLC.
6. The MIL will light for approximately 5 seconds. While the MIL lights,
short the DLC terminals again with the special tool. The self-diag-
nostic memory is erased if the malfunction indicator goes off and
starts blinking.
DLC
• The DLC must be jumped while the MIL lights. If not, the MIL will
not start blinking.
• Note that the self-diagnostic memory cannot be erased if the ignition switch is turned to OFF before the MIL starts blink-
ing.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
The theory of the IAC to control idle RPM is not to complicated. First the ECM assumes the throttle plate is open "X" amount. This amount in theory is just high enough that the IAC can easily add more air if needed. Low enough that if need be the IAC can take some air away if needed. Call it the sweet spot. If all is perfect and the throttle opening is just right the IAC should be right in the middle of it's travel at idle speed.

There is a pot that goes around the throttle plate through the IAC valve in to the intake.. If the engine RPM is too slow the ECM will command the IAC to open allowing more air to flow through the IAC valve an pots. This will cause the engine to go slightly lean for a fraction of a second until the O2 sensors can report to the ECM to richen the mixture. Faster than you can even imagine or notice.
If the idle is too high the same thing happens but the opposite. That is the IAC would close slightly.If the IAC is clean and free that by itself does not mean it has to be good. What about mechanically and electrically? Imagine a vacuum leak where unauthorized air gets in the engine? If you find the engine idles just like always when it starts and does it's fast idle perfect that is a hint. You can bet on an IAC or vacuum leak issue.

As for the codes I think it might be best to not pay attention to them. I wonder when the ECM sees 350 RPM it thinks you are cranking the engine with the starter and it is not running because the RPM is so low.. It might interpret 350 RPM as an engine cranking but not starting. Get the problem fixed and normal idle RPM then the ECM will recognize the engine is running,. Not just spinning on the starter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I see that a lot. Clear all codes and start over. Run the bike until warmed up 30 minutes, and check codes again.
Good luck
David

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have got all the codes cleared now so tomorrow will take the iac valve off the other one and then run it and fingers crossed.
Thanks for the help guys.
Cheers Bash

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would run the bike before changing anything, then check for codes again. It might tell you what is wrong if you give it a chance.
David

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
One other thought. It is possible the throttle plate is so dirty it is restricting the flow of air to the engine at idle.I would peek in there and clean it up as long as you are this far along. Make sure to use throttle body cleaner rather than carb cleaner. It cost about the same and is designed to do the job right.

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
One other thought. It is possible the throttle plate is so dirty it is restricting the flow of air to the engine at idle.I would peek in there and clean it up as long as you are this far along. Make sure to use throttle body cleaner rather than carb cleaner. It cost about the same and is designed to do the job right.
The throttle plates are set to just short of completely closed, not really any air gap. There are air screw adjustments on the front side of the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
The throttle plates are set to just short of completely closed, not really any air gap. There are air screw adjustments on the front side of the throttle body.
I thought that I read that some where but I could not find it again. Has there ever been an issue with restrictions in those ports? I did read that Stu had adjusted on them once as a last resort. Dave, is there a procedure to clean them or do they just stay clean? Hopefully it won't come to that. :)

·
Administrator
26,571 Posts
They could be dirty and can be cleaned. Also a check of a circuit to the alternator.
1800 idle.png
1800idle2.png

1 - 20 of 24 Posts