Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bitch and vent session

You take your bike into a bike shop...a " approved HONDA " bike shop...with all there "so called" FACTORY trained mechanics and you get that sunshine blown up your a$$ on how qualified these guys are...and this is what you get.

I take my bike in for a new front tire...I walk in to the shop the work area and ask...while you have my front wheel out....how are the brake pads doing...??? The reply is..they are fine, but getting a little low. I said OK....figuring that I had at least 8,000 Km's or MORE felt on the pads. ( SEE PHOTO...DOES THIS LOOK FINE TO YOU...!!! ) And you would think it ended here....right...? NOPE, it gets better..! New Metzler ME880 put on front and so called ( balanced )...! Right at the valve this factory ( trained ) guy puts 2 OZ worth of balancing weights on....( this is a NEW tires...whats wrong with this picture ). Yes 2 OZ worth of weights on both sides of the rim...I now have a wobble like a bucking bronco. If your not hold on tight...at 60 Km/h about 35 MPH it will rip the handle bars out of your hands as it does its wobble.

Funny part is...my old tire...very badly worn cupped and all did not wobble...just a hint of one at the same speed...now I have to hang on for dear life almost when it hits..!

And you guys change....HOW MUCH....? $100 per hour....and this is what I get...????

:lash:

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,909 Posts
Actually that's at least 1/3 of the pad, they are not very thick to begin with. What is the crap on it?
The mistake you made IMO is buying a metzler tire, it is probably out of round or has crooked belts.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually that's at least 1/3 of the pad, they are not very thick to begin with. What is the crap on it?
The mistake you made IMO is buying a metzler tire, it is probably out of round or has crooked belts.
The crap you see is...get this, the glue or what ever it is that the pads on held onto the steel backing plate. And this photo was taken after I washed the pad off in the sink with soap and a really good scrub brush taken to it. I bought new pads and put them in myself, these pads are the OEM one the bike came with from the factory. New ones went in at 57,000 Km's on the clock.

My last set of Metz I had only needed 3/4 of a ounce....not like 2 on each side...and it ran smooth and true and had only just a very light hint at the wobble speed.

I guess my question on the tire thing is...how much weight is TOO much...? The amount of weight on this tire...as I see it...is just way to much for a "normal" and or "good" tire.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And just to drive me more nuts and around the bend....the bike has been doing this as well ever now and then... Anyone want to buy a new 2010 GL1800 with 0 KM'S on the clock....?

You turn it off...wait then turn it back on and it shows the Km's on the bike...but every once in a while...its reads ZERO...and nothing works..no radio...no GPS...no nothing...but runs just fine otherwise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Hmmmm my 28 year old gl1200 doesnt do that.... it could be all the ice in Antarctica thats causing it

·
Administrator
27,909 Posts
2 oz. is an awful lot on a motorcycle tire, try removing the weights and see what happens. Some people are pretty clueless about how to balance a tire. I had the tires balanced on a truck I had years ago and had to stop and pry the weights off to be able to drive it.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 oz. is an awful lot on a motorcycle tire, try removing the weights and see what happens. Some people are pretty clueless about how to balance a tire. I had the tires balanced on a truck I had years ago and had to stop and pry the weights off to be able to drive it.
Thats my thoughts as well...thats enough to balance a larger "car" tire...not a motorcycle one...and the front to boot which is a smaller tire. My gut tells me...but then I am NO tire expert by any means...but my gut tells me a new tire of this size...should only need 1/4 ounce to tops 1 ounce. This just seem....why to much. Maybe what I might try...since I they put a mess of 1/4 ounce weights on both sides of the rim....is to take half of them off and see how it rides that way.

What also bugs me is the guy that was doing all this work on my bike...hell I have pimples on my a$$ that are older then this kid. Long hair like a girl...ear rings as well....hell all he needs is a dress....and I have a street corner for him to stand on. Sorry...BUT... the looks of him just does not inspire confidence in me....you know what I mean...?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,528 Posts
What also bugs me is the guy that was doing all this work on my bike...hell I have pimples on my a$$ that are older then this kid. Long hair like a girl...ear rings as well....hell all he needs is a dress....and I have a street corner for him to stand on. Sorry...BUT... the looks of him just does not inspire confidence in me....you know what I mean...?

I thought everyone in Antarctica looked like that??? :ROFL:

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Where men are men and so are the women.:raspberry:

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ten Thousand un-employed comedians....and you want to be a comedian. Don't give up your day job.

·
Premium Member
3,528 Posts
Ten Thousand un-employed comedians....and you want to be a comedian. Don't give up your day job.

Is it our fault they suck and we're great??!!!!! :dance: :grin: :cool: :banana:

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tire Balancing weights

Ok here it is, I just had Metz ME880's put on my bike the tire in question is the front one. What is a normal weight range for balancing a tire....how much ounces is TOO much...? This is a serious question.

Tire was mounted and balanced in a motor cycle shop...and I have a very nasty wobble now with this new tire. Would like to hear from someone that really knows his stuff when it comes to tires and balancing..and so on.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
If they charged me 100.00 dollars an hour to mount and balance a tire, I'd be upset too.
Oh wait, it's no where near that.
Most "factory trained", Honda "technicians" don't mount and balance tires, although they do have to "rebalance" them from time to time. You got a parts changer, not a technician. And now that you're done criticizing and berating "technicians", suppose you tell us what you did to rectify the situation. Vent on a forum?

·
Premium Member
3,528 Posts
If they charged me 100.00 dollars an hour to mount and balance a tire, I'd be upset too.
Most "factory trained", Honda "technicians" don't mount and balance tires, although they do have to "rebalance" them from time to time. You got a parts changer, not a technician. And now that you're done criticizing and berating "technicians", suppose you tell us what you did to rectify the situation. Vent on a forum?

:smallpopcorn:

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
depends on how much is required to balance the tire. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes not so much.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
And just to drive me more nuts and around the bend....the bike has been doing this as well ever now and then... Anyone want to buy a new 2010 GL1800 with 0 KM'S on the clock....?

You turn it off...wait then turn it back on and it shows the Km's on the bike...but every once in a while...its reads ZERO...and nothing works..no radio...no GPS...no nothing...but runs just fine otherwise.

The other year with my 02 GL1800, I started having similar symptoms that progressively got worse and started occuring more frequently. Turns out that the battery itself was dying. Check the connections and if they are all tight, get a multi-meter and check the battery itself. Hopefully only some loose connections. :waving:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Shop time is shop time whether it's a technician or the wash-up boy that does the job.
Any good shop would rectify the problem no charge but good motorcycle shops are probably few and far between in Antarctica.:ROFL:

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
2 oz at the valve stem is too much. Does the Metz have a balance dot, they might have put the dot at stem.

When balancing ANY tire and you find it needs a lot of weight you deflate the tire and spin it 180 on the wheel and start over, hopefully with better results. If it gets worse the tire or rim is NFG.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts

I am curious as to why you don't condone the Metzler tire??

I have Marathons on my 1100 and am COMPLETELY satisfied with them.
No weights required-run true and smoothe. Minor cupping on rear.

ducky

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lets see...the last time I had tires done...the bill came to as I recall $680 thats tire and labor...and how much to a set of Metz cost...???? You do the math.

I have the bill right here in my hand for the changing of the front tire...how much is a metz for the front cost....? Do you want that I take a photo of the bill...and post....?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.