Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a serious question for all people here. I am looking to purchase new tires for my 2008 GL1800. I was not impressed with the OEM Dunlop Elite 3's. Living in Ohio the Dunlop’s always seemed to slip a little on rain slicked roads (I'm not an aggressive rider). I like the Avon Cobra reviews, but I have to ask a couple of questions ...

Question #1: Has anyone here hadexperience that they will share concerning theinstallion/ride usinga "car" tire on the rear of their wing?

I have seen some mixed reviews and have zero personal experience with this concept.

Question #2: I will be moving to the Mesa, Arizona area next year. Will the excessive heat on the Arizona desert require a different tire consideration?

It’s almost riding weather here in Ohio! :eek:)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Better grip, better ride, and no cupping.[/align]
[align=center]POTENZA GO19 Grid[/align]
[align=center]195/55R16 87H[/align]
[align=center]This is what I run[/align]
[align=center]You will hear a lot on[/align]
[align=center]both sides.[/align]
[align=center]Do your research and[/align]
[align=center]then decide for yourself.:byebye:[/align]

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you for the great advice and information links!

Over the last few days I have done a great deal of research on "darksiding".

Dunlop Elite 3 information from the Dunlop website:
http://dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=91

180/60R16 - Recommended Rim: 5.00", Overall Diameter: 24.39, Overall Width: 7.16, Maximum Load: 992 lbs at 41 PSI
180/70R16 - Recommended Rim: 5.00", Overall Diameter: 26.06, Overall Width: 7.13, Maximum Load: 910 lbs at 41 PSI

I was a little shocked that the OEM Dunlop Elite 3 is only rated for 992 pounds. The lowest load rating that I found for any CT that I considered was 1201 pounds (87).

I have a great deal of respect for all the posts about using a run flat tire on my Wing. I have had a tire deflate extremely quickly and come off of the rim of my car. Glad to say that I wasn't driving on the interstate at 70mph. I wish that the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ ZP (zero pressure) was made in a size that fit our bikes.

Joe: From your photo ... It looks to me like you are using a Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ on your bike. (Can you tell that I have studied tires/tread patterns a lot lately? LOL). That is one of my top choices. Would you be willing to share your experiences with me?

So far my top choices are:
Michelin Pilot Sport AS+: 205/55/ZR16
Kumho Ecsta SPT XPR: 205/55/16

Would anyone have experience with either of these tires?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

jfranks: you are correct, I am running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 205/55/ZR16 at 41psi. I did alot of research and learned quite a bit from DaveO430. I pretty much stole Dave's ideas. I found only 2 drawbacks. The first is that the 205 really doesn't want to go up in the wheel well. We had to take the battery and battery box and some other electrics out to get to the inner wheel well so we could tie the wheel well back a bit so the tire didn't touch. The second is that the tire isn't a runflat. It is a Z rated tire, so it has a stiffer sidewall, but not a runflat. In discussing that with Dave, he chose a non runflat on purpose because he felt the runflats had an angle where they seemed to tip-over a bit. I believe that is due to the thick sidewall. I'm sure if Dave sees this thread he'll chime in and correct whatever I've said incorrectly.

I have read alot of discussions ref CTs and I do think the Pirelli Eufori 195/55/R16 (runflat) is a really interesting tire. One of the guys on the GL1800riders site cut one in half and the cross view was pretty impressive. But then, I don't have a clue how it rides.

If you have not found the GL1800riders site yet, check out the darksiding threads there. I see newday suggested the same. Here is a list of darksiders and some of the tires they use:
http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

Enjoy...

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

Oh, I forgot to mention....the tire I'm running sheds water like nobody's business.

·
Old School Guru
7,876 Posts
imported post

I too run the Michelin 205 AS tire, and have over 8,000 miles on this one, and not noticeable wear. I was able to tie my inner fender back on the bike without removing any electrics, just good old laying under it and getting it done. I only run about 37 psi in mine though, but like Joe says, it sheds water like no body's business, and handles gravel and dirt roads 10x better than a bike tire. Another advantage is I don't get the low speed wobble so common with the wing. So overall, I won't go back to MC tire on the rear.:clapper::clapper:

Gene:byebye:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

FYI - For comparison to the OEM Dunlop Elite 3 information:

Michelin Pilot Sport AS+: 205/55/ZR16
Recommended Rim: 5.5"-7.5", Overall Diameter: 24.9", Overall Width: 8.4", Maximum Load: 1356lbs, Rev/Mile: 836

Kumho Ecsta SPT XPR: 205/55/16
Recommended Rim: 5.5"-7.5", Overall Diameter: 24.9", Overall Width: 8.4", Maximum Load: 1356lbs, Rev/Mile: 834

Kumho Ecsta SPT XPR: 195/55/16
Recommended Rim: 5.5"-7.5", Overall Diameter: 24.4", Overall Width: 7.9", Maximum Load: 1201lbs, Rev/Mile: 855

Any other brand/size of tire recommendations are welcome!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Good point on the breakover point on a run flat. I have read many pages links on the GL1800riders site. The more I read, the more excited I get about putting a CT on my Wing!

I have looked at the Michelin Pilot Exalto AS. Less of a traction rating, but it has rounded treadblock edges. I wondered if that would give me a better contact patch while leaning. Just a thought.

Joe and Gene: Did you have to tie up the fender well due to the extra width of the CT? It appears to me that I have plenty of height.

Thanks for the site listing several other darksiders and tire information links/information. I was not able to locate the Rev/mile on the OEM Dunlop. I was curious about that bit of trivia!

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

A quick question ... Will Discount Tire, Belle Tire, or any other car tire retailer mount a purchase onto our Goldwing rim?
If not then I will find an online wholesaler and try to locate a bike shop in the Toledo, Ohio area. I checked the one darkside link for tire installers, but none are listed in my area (or all of Ohio for that matter).

Also are any of you using Dynabeads or Centramatic balancers? If so what kind of results are you having?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I had to tie the inner wheel well back because the tire was rubbing at the top left side as you stood behind the bike...due to the square profile of the tire. The inner wheel well is rounded. Yours may not, like Gene's. The 195 should not need the extra room.

Most tire retailers will not mount a CT to a bike rim. Either learn to do it yourself, or find an independent bike shop that will do it for you. Most dealers won't either. There are guys out there with Dynabeads and Centramatics, but I'm not one of them, so I can't offer info there.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I am running a Dunlop run flat CT--195-- with no clearance problems. I have settled upon about 33 psi to give me the best compromise between ride and handling. I drove it for about a month with no balancing at all(had it mounted at a local tire shop), it rode very smooth. Then, I added 2 oz of dyna beads--perhaps not enough for a CT and immediately noticed a slight tremor at HW speeds. But that tremor has since gone away and the bike is now very smooth. Dyna bead does not recommend use on low profile tires without dynamic balancing as well. Something about lateral imbalance.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I run the Falken 912 195 55r 16 and I love the tyre. I live outside of Las Vegas Nv.so I deal with a lot of heat. And I have had no problems at all.We have to deal with wet roads and snow between my town and Vegas to comute to work. No complaints on the handeling in any of the road conditions. I also pull a trailer and have not had any issues with that either. I am also running Dyna beads 2 oz in the rear and I like them very much. To install just pop the bead and then let air out of tyre push up into place and re inflate. I have around 10,000 miles on it and still looks brand new. Its not a run flat but you have to remember that the tyre is designed for a car and the side wall is going to stiff enough to let you get off the road with out any problems. If you hit something hard enough to rip the side wall out of your tyre, or a hole big enough to let the air out very quickly then you are going to have more to worry about than the tyre being a run flat.I suggest running a Doran tyre monitor like I do and that will let you know as soon as the tyre starts to loose any pressure. I run a lot of highway in Nevada, Utah, Arizona, and Texas, at speeds of 85 to 95 mph,with trailer in tow. So I want to know how my tyre's are doing at all times. Hope this may help you

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
imported post

The Michelin pilot sport A/S plus as mentioned above is probably the best tire ever. The drawback is it is also the largest 205 and is hard to get in the wheel well. I have convinced 5 or 6 at least to use it and as far as I know all were pleased to say the least. I have strayed from my teachings and tried something different. A BFGoodrich G force super spot A/S 205/55 16 and so far it is also a great tire but probably wont live as long as the Michie. It is slightly smaller and goes in easily.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I have strayed from my teachings and tried something different. A BFGoodrich G force super spot A/S 205/55 16 and so far it is also a great tire but probably wont live as long as the Michie. It is slightly smaller and goes in easily.
What prompted the switch Dave?

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
imported post

nsjoe wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
I have strayed from my teachings and tried something different. A BFGoodrich G force super spot A/S 205/55 16 and so far it is also a great tire but probably wont live as long as the Michie. It is slightly smaller and goes in easily.
What prompted the switch Dave?
My economy was really bad a t the time and the BFG was about $30 cheaper than the Michelin.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

If I had received your postings a day earlier I would have ordered the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+: 205/55/ZR16. I should have gone with my gut instincts, but for now I have to highly rely on the experienced dark sider's words of wisdom. Experience is a great teacher, thus I have respect for those that blaze the trail before me.

I ended up ordering a Kumho Ecsta SPT XPR: 195/55/16 as I wanted to see exactly what clearances I had with my wheel well. This will be the first time that I have changed my tires, so I wanted it to go somewhat smoothly. If all goes well I will modify my wheel well to accept the 205/55/16 tire width at my next rear tire change.

I ordered my tire from tirerack.com. I can clearly say that they have a great website (selection, reviews, and information) and customer service. They shipped my tire within 3 hours of my placing an order on the web. Thats fast service.

I also ordered my own manual tire changer. I was not able to find a local shop that would mount my CT on the MC rim.

I ordered centramatic balancers for both the front and rear wheels. I will let you know how the installation goes and what my opinions are about them as the miles rack up this year.

I ordered my valve stems from wingstuff.com. I didn't find a particular valve stem review that was head over heals above the rest. Any new input from others on this topic would be appreciated.

I have the Craftsman motor cycle lift. It is rock solid for holding up my Wing. I have a slight issue with the inital belly clearance (getting it underneath my wing), but for the price it is an issue I can easily work around.

Thanks to everyone for your time and help with my questions!
For once it feels good to be considered to be on the Dark Side!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.