Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wingman59
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have the 2006 GL1800 and wanting to hook up a 4 wire trailer. The bike came with a hitch with 5 wires tucked up underneath, light blue, green, red, orange and brown. Does anybody know which wire goes where?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Without knowing if the previous owner followed the normal color codes for trailer wiring we would just be guessing.

Your best bet is to use a meter to find the always hot line and that will be your tail lights.

Next turn on the left turn signal and find the wire that goes on and off with the turn signal. Repeat with the right.

Now you have identified 3 of the 5 wires. Have someone turn on the brakes and you will have found the brake wire. The one left will be the ground wire.

You now have another problem, you need a electronic 5 wire to 4 wire converter to make the trailer lights work properly. Your wing has separate turn and brake lights. Your trailer does not.

Your other option is to replace the lights and wiring on the trailer with separate signal/brake lights and new wiring.

I rewired mine using commercially available lights from the local RV parts store.

One last item, I hope the previous owner used a trailer isolator circuit instead of just scabbing into the bikes wires. Adding the trailer load to already small wires is just asking for trouble.

Henry

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
you will need a converter to run a four wire trailer hook up. your brake and turn signals are on three wires now.converter takes that down to 2 wires.

·
Wingman59
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trailer wiring

Hello,

Thanks all for all your advice. Yes I tried a meter and there was nothing on any wire. So I removed the center panel to find the power lead was dead. So I ran another power line and tried again, I have everything but brakes. When I originally found the wired they were tucked up with the wires exposed, no wonder the power didn't work. I'm thinking the whole adapter relay unit is bad and needs replacing???

Gary

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Power lead? what power lead?test the wires going into the converter,you will have tail light,right turn,left turn and brakes. If not check fuses first. It has to have those coming into the converter to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.