Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2003, GL1800 which I bought with 700 miles on it. The transmission

is very "CLUNKY" when changing gears. The Honda dealer says this is normal.

I've ridden various bikes through the years but have never heard such a noise when changing gears.

IS THIS NORMAL????

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

:waving: This should be posted in Technical Forum

·
Honda Guru
2,043 Posts
imported post

Hey Rabbit.... open your eyes dude!!! It is in the Tech Forum!!<G>

Anyway... welcome to the list and yes, it's fairly common. Usually the transmission will smooth out with practice and experience but to a new 1800 rider it's clunky.

Good luck and best wishes.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

I let a friend who has a Harley ride my wing up a side street by work and he said , boy it shifts nice. I guess it's depends on what you're used to.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I have had a lot of bikes with clunky transmissions. I learned years ago to preload the shifter. Motorcycle transmissions do not have synchronized gears like cars and trucks. It is up to you to synchronize manually. It takes a little practice but basically just apply some up pressure on the shifter before you shift, then when you pull in the clutch and cut the throttle it will change gears when the engine speed matches the speed of the gears.

I ride an old BMW and they have a reputation of having clunky transmissions. I constantly amaze my friends by shifting up through the gears with no noise at all...

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There have been some suggestions that preloading the shifter causes problems with the shift forks.

I don't know if this is true, but I used to do it and have stopped, just in case.

It doesn't matter because since I changed to Delo 400 I haven't found the shifting to be too clunky at all.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I have an 2007 and my son has a 2008.:cool: I don't notice any clunking noise during shifting with either bike except when the bike is cold and you put it in gear for the first time.CLUNK! I do have a tendency to preload the shift and I start out in second gear almost all the time.:goofygrin: I also try to match engine revs with road speed during downshifts when applicable. Maybe try a few different techniques to see what works best for you. :waving:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

If it's clunking on the 1st to 2nd gear shift try this. Put a slight preload on the shifter and run the RPMs up to at least 3K. Give it a quick snap into 2nd gear and see if that takes care of it. I was used to doing the lazy and slow shift on my Harley because it sounded cool but that shifting style doesn't cut it on the 1800. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Whammy...
To answer your question on 20-50 oil.... I don't know where you live, be it in the snow belts or sunny south. I run the Honda synthetic blend oils. I found that the 10-40 seemed to shear a bit under hot summer weather in Death Valley. Heard some extra noise I don't have when its cooler out. I switched to Honda 20-40 blend, and for warm weather conditions... seems to work well and not so much the "clunk" into first gear.
Depending on where you live, you may want to try the heavier grade oil. But for winter conditiions I would stick with the 10-40.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Pre loading the shifter .............so more light is shed on some of the reasons why the occasional transmission fails.

I like my clunky transmission , it is positive and sure, and the positive shift and clunk lets me know it is working fine.

I have never understood why some consider the Goldwing to be noisy, or clunk, or all that kind of thing, I used to ride Harley's . With loud pipes. To me the Wing is so quiet I have to walk behind it and hold my hand over the muffler to see if it is actually running or not. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: A few noises just lets me know it is alive.:) Kit

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I think it is the way you shift, i am going to amzoil full synthetic, i hear it smooths out everything. Ill let you know. I still have about 3 more thousand to go before i change it.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I had a brand new '07,miles, Goldwing that seemed to have a noisy, clunk in the tranny from day one. HOWEVER, I now have a brand new '08 Goldwing and find it to be much quieter when shifting.

A noisey shift in these bikes just seems to be the nature of the beast. Lets face it,,, the engines run so smooth & quiet that any drive train noise will stand out and be noticed.

Renegade

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have been using Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil since day 1 and it has "clunked" since day 1.
My other bike, 750 Vulcan, will shift after leaving 1st without the clutch and no noise. Smoooooooooth. It seems
Honda needs to catch up on transmissions.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

Has anyone felt that the original levers seem to give a smoother gear change than chrome aftermarket ones? I treated myself to new chrome levers on my 1800 at 600miles I then took it for its first service. They put fully synthetic engine oil in. I then rode to London and as the bike truly warmed up the gear change became terrible. On my return gave merry hell to the dealer for puting the wrong oil in! and took my bike to a small dealer to change the oil again! It was marginally better. Eventually i decided to put the original leavers back on. Sorted! 1000% better not perfect but as expected! has anyone else had this problem? mine were Kuryakyn levers! Derek

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

<<<< SNIPPET of a posting >>>>

GPS GURU (NOT)
The Goldwing GL1800 is by far the best motorcycle ever designed in the world. Just to take a test ride on one is a dangerous thing, as you will just have to have one.

========================================================

Ya...your telling me..! I wish someone would have warned me not to do it...! I took one out for what was to be a one hour test ride... Well the one hour turning into being out so long that I took it back at closing time. I had it out for close to 6 hours solid and riding it the whole time. Now I want one...! My honda shadow just does not cut it any more...not that there is anything wrong with it at all....I just want a gold wing and this summer is when it will happen.... But this being Canada, a 2009 new gold wing comes in at $33,500 with the taxs... Now that is a bitter pill or swollow....

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

$33,500.00 is sure a lot of money. I have no idea of the hassle it might be to buy one in the US and take it home. But just so you know the figures, you can purchase an 2008 close to where I live at a shop I go to a lot for $16,700.00 for the base model and right at $18,000.00 for one with the ABS and NAVI. The 09 is just under $20,000.00. Not sure exactly as I did not ask too many details, I was afraid I might end up with another one. :)

So maybe no warranty, if taken across the line, might not be so bad, most things are simple anyway.

Something to think about, but I do not know the fees, and import duties if any, or anything like that.

Kit

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

Ok now as I recall the base model here is 27,800 or so and the full decked out one is 29,500, then comes taxs on that....so by the time the dust settles on that, your into about $33,000. Then you have to insure it and my shadow is $1,600 per year...and NOTE... I have had ZERO claims and nothing in my driving record. If I would then it would only go up from there. Now how much is it to insure the gold wing.....???? I do not know right off hand, but if my shadow is $1,600 then I bet the Gold wing will be somewhere in the $2,800 to $3,400 per year....at this rate... I really do not want to even think about how much it will cost to insure it....just thinking about it now is making me sick....

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Hey Lloyd

Whereabouts in Canada are you, from the insurance rates it almost sounds as if you could be in Manitoba.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

I am located in Vancouver B.C.

And a little foot note to the high over priced insureance we pay around here... Is it any wonder WHY hit and runs are on going up... Hell I have a road star rating that means my cost is 47% as I recall off the full bill. Now think about it, you have a bang up and its your fault or partly your fault....you lose that discount. At that rate...hell makes you want to think about just getting the hell outa there and see if you can get out of seeing higher costs for the next 5 years till you get your discount back..and I think its 7 year without any claims to get your road star rating these days. Not sure but as I recall its 7 years without for much as a nick, ding, or dent to get your road star rating.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.