Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 12 sleeps from embarking on a 7,500 km trek to the west coast :banana: :action: on my recently triked 2006. The front tire is not going to make the journey but I plan to ride to Chilliwack BC on it to finish it off (via the Beartooth and Hwy to the Sun :cooler:). Planning on arranging a tire and oil change there as I'll be in Chilli for 3 days.

Swaying toward a Battlax. Pondering the 130 or 140, normal or reverse mount?

Any thoughts? Other tires, mount direction, size, pressure, good shop to do the work?

Oh yeah - gotta change my profile cuz I'm double darksiding now :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Have you installed an ez steer triple clamp? It's my understanding a smaller diameter tire enhances steering geometry. Someone else will be along. I know, it's hard to get anyone to give a tire recommendation..........:ROFL:.......

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I'll not recommend a tire, that's up to you.

However I have found "Gnarly Parts" to have the best prices including mounting for motorcycle tires in Chilliwack.

Just call ahead to order your tire of choose, 1.866.346.2759

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
I have a BT45, reverse mounted and expect at least 25,000 miles from this tire.
I have about 14,000 on it now and it does show slight cupping!
Local installer looked at it and said come see me when you have about 25,000 in it, I'll check it then! He also told me the reverse rotation was a personal choice. Some do, some don't and almost every front tire will cup over time!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you installed an ez steer triple clamp? It's my understanding a smaller diameter tire enhances steering geometry. Someone else will be along. I know, it's hard to get anyone to give a tire recommendation..........:ROFL:.......
6* Rake installed

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

However I have found "Gnarly Parts" to have the best prices including mounting for motorcycle tires in Chilliwack.

Thanks Ken - I'll give them a shout.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Rear tire mounted backwards because it is designed for the weight that a trike puts upon the front wheel, plus is wider giving you more grip, and has twice the tread depth. Combined this will last a lot longer than a regular front motorcycle tire upon a trike.
I have the battleaxe rear tire upon the front rim of my bike and it handles better than any other front tire I have ever used, tar snakes and road issues are a thing of the past and with the ceramic beads for balancing it is also the smoothest on the handlebars.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reminder uj - I'll pack some Dynabeads!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
I had switched from an E-3 Dunlop to a Metzler 808, and have not seen much wear in 4,000 miles. There was a short run of these 808's from Brazil that had a problem, but that was eons ago. Not too expensive, and a good hard tire to wear out. Sure wish some tire company would address the trike front tire delemma. Good luck with whatever you decide. jimsjinx

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
The reasons given in the past by a couple tire manufactures for reverse rotation of a rear tire mounted on the front was for water dispersion and for the braking forces applied. Those reasons seemed to have vanished over time.
Also, when using the same size rear tire as the OEM front, there is no increase in the parch size touching the road!
There are 2 companies(EuroWing and Hannigan) now producing front components that allow the use of an actual car tire. Cost in approx. $4,000+!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Spoke to Dave - Battlax will be there when I drop off the trike on the 25th. Great service!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She has a 6* rake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.