Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

[suP][suB]I mentioned my tyres on a previous thread but, a few miles farther on, maybe this will be of use to someone.[/suB][/suP]

[suB][suP]My GL1800 had Bridgestones as OEM and ran for 10k miles. Changed them for Dunlop D250s ('cos the price was right) and seemed to be ok. But, 2k miles down the line, I now think they are not as good as the Bridgestones. The rear tyre seems to squirm under reasonable acceleration and is more pronounced in the wet, none of which was evident on the Bridgestones. By 'wet' I don't mean monsoon rain, even damp will do. And, unless the bike is upright and in a straight line, even a dry road can present acceleration problems[/suP][/suB]

[suB][suP]The B is a much more forgiving tyre and not out to punish you for daring to ride. I have not changed my riding style although I am a little older (decrepit, even) than I was, but I firmly believe the Bridgestone to be a far superior tyre. So, it might be better to leave the D's, no matter how right the price might be.[/suP][/suB]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

oh no.... cannot wait to see what redwing has to say about tyres

bet he even thinks

RED is the fastest colour
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
imported post

Standby to be chastised by "MR. BRIDGESTONE". Just accept your punishment and live to ride another day.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Colbee, have a heart for us old fellers, use a larger font so I don't have to go find my granny glasses!:cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

... now lets see.... Exavid eschews back rests, highway boards, Heel and toe  shifters, and MP3 players ........'cause they are "Old men's stuff"....  but cannot read font size 10 without glasses ???  aha........ I think you are trying to be in both camps, my friend.... Would a bunny with  bi-focals, and a pancake on its head  be more suited ??? ...LOL   lol... RAOFLMFAO !! SilverDave./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif. ..... ( I  love my bifocals, and my Wing backrest, and my on-board MP3 ...)
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
... now lets see.... Exavid eschews back rests, highway boards, Heel and toe shifters, and MP3 players ........'cause they are "Old men's stuff".... but cannot read font size 10 without glasses ??? aha........ I think you are trying to be in both camps, my friend.... Would a bunny with bi-focals, and a pancake on its head be more suited ??? ...LOL lol... RAOFLMFAO !!SilverDave./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif. ..... ( I love my bifocals, and my Wing backrest, and my on-board MP3 ...)
[suB]I tend to like larger fonts such as the standard Vardana 2 the message board defaults to. You're right about all that other crap, I like my bike lean and clean. For a Goldwing that is![/suB]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK Paul, how's about this? I didn't intend to use the previous font size but for some reason I couldn't change it.

And........for the avoidance of doubt and inferences of age discrimination I have updated my profile to include my date of birth.

And........... furthermore, I freely admit to having been progressively optically challenged for nigh on 20 years, which means I now wear specs full-time.

I also confess a predilection for backrests; and that I once considered stabilisers after I dropped a 1500 on its side ina car park when my left foot just slid away on loose gravel.

As it happens, I did know a guy who had stabilisers fitted to his 15 after he dropped it once too often: they replaced the centre-stand andcame down automatically when speed went below (I think) 3mph, and stayed down when parked, automatically retracting as speed increased. Meant he never had to put his feet down but he had to put up with a lot of sarcasm, particularly from other wingers.
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
[suP][suB]I mentioned my tyres on a previous thread but, a few miles farther on, maybe this will be of use to someone.[/suB][/suP]

[suB][suP]My GL1800 had Bridgestones as OEM and ran for 10k miles. Changed them for Dunlop D250s ('cos the price was right) and seemed to be ok. But, 2k miles down the line, I now think they are not as good as the Bridgestones. The rear tyre seems to squirm under reasonable acceleration and is more pronounced in the wet, none of which was evident on the Bridgestones. By 'wet' I don't mean monsoon rain, even damp will do. And, unless the bike is upright and in a straight line, even a dry road can present acceleration problems[/suP][/suB]

[suB][suP]The B is a much more forgiving tyre and not out to punish you for daring to ride. I have not changed my riding style although I am a little older (decrepit, even) than I was, but I firmly believe the Bridgestone to be a far superior tyre. So, it might be better to leave the D's, no matter how right the price might be.[/suP][/suB]
Hey colbee :waving:Just speak a little Louder when you mention BRIDGESTONE

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ok Redwing, I am suitably chastised. Now, do I discard the D's with only 2K miles and spend the thick end of £350 (or about 520 euros or$600) incl. fittingon B's (sorry, Bridgestones). Seriously, I know the answer to this: I need to drive carefully for a few more miles while I save up. Unless the D's get worse!
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
OK Paul, how's about this? I didn't intend to use the previous font size but for some reason I couldn't change it.

And........for the avoidance of doubt and inferences of age discrimination I have updated my profile to include my date of birth.

And........... furthermore, I freely admit to having been progressively optically challenged for nigh on 20 years, which means I now wear specs full-time.

I also confess a predilection for backrests; and that I once considered stabilisers after I dropped a 1500 on its side ina car park when my left foot just slid away on loose gravel.

As it happens, I did know a guy who had stabilisers fitted to his 15 after he dropped it once too often: they replaced the centre-stand andcame down automatically when speed went below (I think) 3mph, and stayed down when parked, automatically retracting as speed increased. Meant he never had to put his feet down but he had to put up with a lot of sarcasm, particularly from other wingers.
That's better, I can read it without a magnifying glass. Unfortunately I've had specs most of my life. Stabilizers like the landing gear brand would appeal to me more than a sidecar or trike. I could take the sarcasm, one of my favorite pastimes. I never enter into a battle of wit with an unarmed man.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
SilverDave wrote:
... now lets see.... Exavid eschews back rests, highway boards, Heel and toe shifters, and MP3 players ........'cause they are "Old men's stuff".... but cannot read font size 10 without glasses ??? aha........ I think you are trying to be in both camps, my friend.... Would a bunny with bi-focals, and a pancake on its head be more suited ??? ...LOL lol... RAOFLMFAO !!SilverDave./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif. ..... ( I love my bifocals, and my Wing backrest, and my on-board MP3 ...)
[sub]I tend to like larger fonts such as the standard Vardana 2 the message board defaults to. You're right about all that other crap, I like my bike lean and clean. For a Goldwing that is![/sub]
larger fonts... at first I thought you said fronts... my my my
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
590 Posts
imported post

colbee wrote:
Ok Redwing, I am suitably chastised. Now, do I discard the D's with only 2K miles and spend the thick end of £350 (or about 520 euros or$600) incl. fittingon B's (sorry, Bridgestones). Seriously, I know the answer to this: I need to drive carefully for a few more miles while I save up. Unless the D's get worse!
For want of an excuse to put my view - I'm a bit of a believer in what was originally released with the original design as the tyres to use. Now here in Oz it was Bridgestones. My first rear tyre had the "carcass" seperation problem and Honda came to the party with compensation for the unused portion. :clapper:

The newrear has currently done 24000 kms and is not near the wear bars (about 1 mm to go) so figure another 4 to 5 thousand kms. The front was replaced at 20000 kms (not worn out) but I was going on a long trip. This was replaced with the 709 series and works well - currently has 17000 kms on it and will go for some time yet. :cool:

So my tyres of choice are Bridgestones :weightlifter:
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Thats what i have been saying since this forum opened. :clapper:

BRIDGESTONES. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
590 Posts
imported post

Redwing, you got shares or own the company :jumper:
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

globetrotter wrote:
Redwing, you got shares or own the company :jumper:
I wish i had/did. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

FOR ALL YOU OLDER GUYS ON THE FORUM ,I HAVE EDITED THE FIRST POST AND IT IS NOW IN A BIGGER FONT FOR YOU TO READ ....CIARAN
 

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
Joined
·
57,413 Posts
imported post

Thanks wexman :clapper: what a relief. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red::leprechaun:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top