Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dealer installed...have LOVED the backrest for the 10 months I've had the wing (2010 GL1800 ABS)

Local dealership (I bought the bike out of state) says Utopia bar has chaffed wiring and shorted system.

Fixes: Honda refused the case under warranty even though dealership installed. This local dealership will get inside seat, patch/reroute wiring, but here's the rub...when it shorted, it PROBABLY (they've seen three of these this year) knocked out the thermastat...which is integral to the seat...if that has been damaged, we're talking new seat $500+ and different backreat plus labor....$1200...

I've already put a call in to the installing dealership to start getting this resolved...

Nightmare stuff...plenty of these backrests are in service, this seat wiring, is it really that close to the centerline to be an issue?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I thought that the utopia wasn't to be installed on the new heated seats?

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear of this and I hope it gets resolved soon and satisfactorily.

Can't say from where I heard, but I was under the impression that the Utopia could be used in the heated seat, and their website states it can be installed on heated GL1800 seatshttp://www.utpr.com/gl1800.html

Haven't heard of this misadventure before, so I'll be following this thread with interest, and an open mind because my wife would prefer this backrest over the ones with the outside bars.

Regards,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks...I just watched Youtube vid of (maybe Steve?) installing Utopia...didn't seem worried about wiring...just drilled right through there.

More to follow...I'm going to pick up bike this evening and talk to the GL Master Tech. My question now is, "Did you physically see chaffing or checking resistance found discontinuity or shorting and assuming it is the Utopia bar?"

Diagrams in my service manual are inconclusive as to the placing of these harnesses.

But like they said, mine isn't the first one they've seen...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

The Utopia can be fitted to heated seat models, and the only way wires can get chafed is if the fitting instructions weren't followed properly, ie human error. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1800Utopiabackrest2.htm

If they didn't face the sharp edge of the blade away from the wires when cutting the foam, that is when the wires would have been cut. It just can't happen any other way.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

If I was the installing dealer, i would not take the word of another dealer's tech that this caused your problem and therefore would not offer any coin, But I would contact the tech directly and ask a lot of questions so I could gauge the techs knowledge and find a way to get my customer taken care of

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

The reason I went with the Backup Backrest, I was told that the Utopia was a good one but with it's installation requiring cutting into the seat it would void the Warrantee, so I decided to use the Backup, which mounts using the seat handles and looks and feels like the Utopia and does not Void the Warrantee of the seat.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/230_backrests/31574_new_bakup_honda_gl1800_gold_wing_adjustable/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F230_goldwing_backrests%2Fdes%2F

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes, I've put selling/installing dealer in touch with the GL Master Tech out here. I conferred again with him, and he assured me that the harness has been rubbing the Utopia post, but he can't say that there was an initial cut in the protective layer without cutting away some plastic and destroying the seat anyway.

He adroitly installed a loop to bypass the forward seat wire bundle so my grip and backseat heaters work...a temp. solution until final resolution.

"Backup" backrest will be installed with new seat...one way or the other...eventually

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

The wire harness has a heavy plastic sheath, and it can't really rub off the Utopia bracket as the foam is dense and prevents the wires moving. The sheath would have to be cut when the saddle was being cut, there is no way it could rub through on the backrest.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

captscotty wrote:
.....but he can't say that there was an initial cut in the protective layer without cutting away some plastic and destroying the seat anyway.....
All he needs to do is remove some staples from the cover, peel it up and lift the foam.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Not there, can't review the seat, don't know for sure. All I can do is give an opinion based on installing my own Utopia on my 1500 and now on my 1800.
1.There should not be any way for the wiring to be cut, if installation instructionswere followed.
2. The wiring is not close enough to the post of the Utopia for the cable to rub against it.
3. The cable does not "move", so chafing does not seem possible.
4. Removing as many of the staples holding the cover will allow inspection without rendering the seat unusable.
5. Do not pay a dealer for a new seat! There are take offs available frequently over on the GL1800Riders board. I have seen as low as $200 up to around $400.
Conclusions:
Cut may not have been made properly during install.
or
Current dealer is not reporting the correct problem or thinks he is by thinking the wiring was chafed.
Don't know how far away the installing dealer is however, it would be possible to ship the seat to that dealer. Let him inspect and decide if the damage was caused by improper install and hopefully provide the repair if he agrees he cause the damage. If not, you out shipping 2 ways only!

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
1.There should not be any way for the wiring to be cut, if installation instructionswere followed.
2. The wiring is not close enough to the post of the Utopia for the cable to rub against it.
3. The cable does not "move", so chafing does not seem possible.

All correct. There are thousands of heated seat Goldwings with Utopias, and I've never heard of wires chafed. Not being able to see the seat, all we can do is offer our opinions and mine is that whoever fitted captscotty's backrest didn't do the job right.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

The seat pan itself has a molded channel that the wiring lays against. This channel is offset from the centerline and the wiring runs outboard of this channel. There are only two ways this could have been cut. One being that the wire was routed incorrectly during manufacture, the other being the installer fished around with his cutter once inside instead of making a straight plunging cut as per installation instructions. (I used a bread knife and did it with a single plunge). So, either the manufacturer is at fault, or the installer who took pay to do a proper and non-destructive installation is responsible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I picked up the bike today. Mechanic had bypassed the front seat with an electrical loop, and I had hopes that grip heat and back seat heat would work until I get the bike back out east to the installing dealership...grip heat lasted about 5 minutes then failed.

Don't have a clue why, but I'll check with the mechanic and see how this fits with his theory.

I've got to get 'eyeballs' on the front seat wiring and see if there was a cut, or chaffing or what. Out of town for 10 days tomorrow, so will pick this up again then.

$100 so far, and I know nothing more than three days ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey everybody

Try to make this brief. Bottom line, my dealer in Chattanooga, Southern Powersports, was fantastic. I just rode over there a few days ago, gave them my bike, and within 30 minutes they let me know that I had a bad seat, and a bad right grip. (I understand that one bad component of the heat system knocks out all the others?) Well, they had the grip, but not the seat in stock.

So, being customer oriented, they canned a new seat off a new Wing and ordered a replacement for themselves. AND, Honda covered the repairs under warranty. I had them reinstall my Utopia in to the new seat. (Love that backrest!)

It beats me how one dealer can be so superior over another, but this outfit in Chattanooga is run right! I'll be looking for a new 'home' dealer here in Dallas. This episode, with the one last September of them mounting a brand new Dunlop Elite 3 rear BACKWARDS...well, I'm looking for some place better than that. Lucky I caught the mistake prior to putting miles on the bike and driving with my sweetie on the back through rain, etc.

Oh, by the way, the boys in Chattanooga got a kick how the dealer here in Dallas used a paper clip and tape to try to bypass the 'bad' part of the system.

Well, all's well that ends well...

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

lionelgo50 wrote:
The reason I went with the Backup Backrest, I was told that the Utopia was a good one but with it's installation requiring cutting into the seat it would void the Warrantee, so I decided to use the Backup, which mounts using the seat handles and looks and feels like the Utopia and does not Void the Warrantee of the seat.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/230_backrests/31574_new_bakup_honda_gl1800_gold_wing_adjustable/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F230_goldwing_backrests%2Fdes%2F
ANY modification to a goldwing voids the warranty .... once the bike is modified in anyway from stock ,that is not a HONDA accesssory then legally and technically it voids the warranty ,,believe it or not ..and it is really down to the dealer to decide if he wants to tell HONDA or not that a mod was carried out on the bike ,Get a good dealer who is interested in good customer relations and he will carry out the repair and claim under waranty ,but other dealers just dome want to know about filling out forms etc ..But legally they do NOT have to cover warranty on a bike with any modification,,

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Captscotty
good to hear it all worked out for the best in the end.
Nothing quite like a good reputable MC dealership.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.