Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

The honda manual tells you to slacken the cam chain adjusters before measuring the valve clearances, does any one know how to do this without using the expensive tools listed in the manual ? or can you get away without doing it. Have measured them all and they are within the limits in the book/Or can you sujest where I can get cheaper tools?
Spav:)

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
imported post

There has been some discussion on the 1800 riders board about the need to slacken the chains, consensus seems to be it's not necessary. It does not make sense to me why you would need to loosen the chains because the engine runs with the chains tight.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,707 Posts
imported post

`
I cannot for the life of me see what the chains would have to do with the clearances?

If the cam lobe is down on the respective valve you are measuring, that is all that is necessary.

Leave the chain alone. Don't fix what ain't broke.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

My take on the service book's side note of Loosening the chain, is for shim replacement because the cam shaft must be removed. :action:

When the time comes, my plan is to check and if any are tight theShop will do the job and we can compare notes.
But I've been wrong before.:DWhen in doubt check with the Shop.:action:

Longboater,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.