Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Who has had the valves shimmed on GL1800s?

• Yes I had shims put in

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I have not had shims put in

• Checked I had valves checked

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Honda says on GL1800s you should have your valves checked at 32,000 miles and shims added if necessary.

I would like to know how many people who had their valves checked at 32,000 had to have shims added? :?

They tell me this is about 6 hours of labor @$70/hr or $420 to check and reshim.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Interesting.

I just received a quote from my local non Mother shop of about three hours, give or take and no more than $200.00 (Sarasota FL.) The Mother shop is up the street and do not know what the charge is. From what I hear the valves usually do not require shimming at 32,000 miles. I'm checking mine and also having the local shop check it too. Remember the clearances normally go tighter with wear.

If you have a non Mother shop do any work, have it well documented so the warrenty is not an issue.:action: Shop around your area and ask all the questions.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

I took mine in for the 32K check, my guru checked all the valves and found everything to be in spec. He also told me that he finds very few that does and if he does it's not all of them, just one or two valves but that's just here in Kansas, I don't know about other parts of the country...........

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the reply. I was quoting at Mother's and expected it to be high, but don't have anyone else that I trust at this time.

You have a beautiful bike, but not quite up to my 2002 Illusion Blue. :D

Ride safe.

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I had the valves on my 05 checked at about 55,000 miles. Everything was within spec.
The Goldwing mechanic at the local Honda dealer told me he seldom needs to change shims. I heard a similar story from the mechanics at local Goldwing specialty shop.

$420.00 / 6 hours labor sounds excessive to me. I'm sure I paid less than $200 for the valve check and the hourly shop rate at my dealer is higher.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.