Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:baffled:

Im having charging problems with my GL1800 and it might be the voltage regulator. Where abouts is it and how do I get to it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I am sure the 1800 uses a automobile type alternator. The regulator will be part of it...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What year is the bike and how old is the battery? Kit

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi

My bike is a 2004 GL1800 A4 with 80,000 miles on the clock.

I put a voltmeter across the battery and it reads 11 volts - when I start the engine and repeat the test it still reads 11 volts. The battery is 18 months old.

Im going to replace the cruise control fuse as I understand that this might affect the charging but all suggestions would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes it sounds like quite possibly the charging system is faulty. However before you remove the alternator......pull the left side covers and clean all the connections, and those at the battery also. Sometimes just a connector such as at the battery will look fine but not allow contact. Also some batteries will decide not to accept a charge, you would think you would get full voltage at the battery posts during charging....but this is not always the case......if a battery has a dead cell.....it will not accept the charge and fool you into thinking the alternator is bad........so have the battery tested also before going to the alternator.

If this is not it...........battery voltage should be 13 plus volts......and the 1800 when revved up a bit will put out 15 volts. So if you are sitting at 11 volts then yes you have most likely a regulator problem. The regulator is built into the alternator and sits in the rear of the housing.......it is very similar to one you would find on a car.

So if you clean the connections......all clean and tight.....all the fuses good..battery tested....and you still get 11 volts........best just purchase a new alternator and install it.......yes you can have it repaired......you can run resistance checks on the alternator coil....and the slip rings......but just like on a car......80,000 miles......is a good life for an alternator.
The cost and expense of tearing the alternator down.......and installing a new rectifier/regulator.....is almost as much as just purchasing a new one and bolt it in.

Kit

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

If the regulator fails it almost always results in overcharging instead of undercharging, up to 16 or 17 volts. Low readings like 11 volts indicates an internal alternator fault, thats assuming you already checked connections etc like Kit says. I know lots of GL1800 owners who had alternators die and mostly with less than half the miles that you have, so you are definitely not alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.