Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 with only 67,000 on it is exhibiting strange behavior. On a recent ride, when accelerating, it seemed to slip out of gear, and went "zing" up the RPM scale. When I let off the throttle, it regained the gear and was fine. Here is what I am noticing; In 1st and 2nd gear, there is no problem at all. When I upshift or downshift there is no problem at all. But in 3rd 4th and 5th, when I give it a little "too much" gas. it goes off the gear and winds out. Again, when I let off, it regains the gear and becomes normal. Now, If I am careful and accelerate slowly and steadily, there is no problem. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks for your help and expertise!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:Jim Wilson
What type of oil are you using? Cannot use regular car oil because of the additives affecting the wet clutch.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Sounds like a normal case of the clutch almost worn out. With that low of mileage seems weird for the clutch to be worn out. The longer it goes it will start to slip in 2nd gear also. Does it have the stock clutch lever? Do you have any play in the lever before it starts to disengage the clutch when you pull the lever in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like classic example of clutch slip. Check the brass pin in your clutch handle also as those tend to wear out and cause problems. You must remove lever then pin to see the wear as it will look normal otherwise. Sounds like a clutch job will be in order. May just get by with new friction plates if metal plates are not burned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions! I have to travel but will get back on this around August 8th or so. Will definitely report back on what I find out.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
If it gets worse as it warms up it could be the return port in the master cylinder is plugged and not letting the fluid return. As it gets hot and expands it puts pressure on the slave and causes slippage. When was the last time the fluid was changed? If it is the same cold or hot it is probably the clutch worn.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Just looking for an update.:waving:See you won't be back until August 8th. Maybe then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am finally back! OK, the bottom line is that the clutch needed rebuilding. Even though the GL1800 has a mere 67k, that is confirmed to be the problem. Everything is great after this fix. Mechanic explained that it is natural that the slippage occurs first in the higher gears. Reason: In those gears there is lower RPMs and higher torque, so the pressure on the clutch is greater than in first and second. So, mystery solved. Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks again for your assistance! This is a great forum for us to utilize.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.