Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Using the lowest position as a reference:

How many notches up can it be raised and still tighten down on both sides?

I think mine is broken but, Iwant confirmation before I contact my local dealer for warranty service. First thru third notch all works normal. On the fourth notch up the left side tightens down fine. The right side will slip up and down a bit. It seems that this was not alwaysthe case.

If it is indeed broken, any idea what may have broken? Mind you if it is covered under warranty I'll let the dealer repair it; if not, I'll be doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Notches???

Before adjusting the shield to any height up or down always pull it up to the highest point before trying to push it down, pull it up and it lines up the mechanism and it should work fine.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the response KITand yes, I understand that. Notches: when pulling upon the windshield I can hear clicking sound5 total before reaching thepoint where it is fully extended. At those notches the windshield can be locked into place.At other pointsit will not lock into place, merely wiggle around. I hope this is a better explanation?

I don't adjust the windshield often and it has bee a while sinceI did it last so I couldn't remember for sure howhigh up I could go. I think I was able to go all the way up in April. Now it is only to the third postion andstill be able to clampdown both sides of the windshiled.

The locking levers work all the time, I think there is a problem with something under the front cover. I have tried cycling thru the lowest to highest point but has made no difference.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Something might have fallen apart, it does sometimes. In the ratchet assembly up in behind the shield is a adjuster that is held in place with a spring and circlip. Sometimes they do get out of place.

If your shield is stock, if you will notice on each side of the shield at full up position are two marks, one on each side, you should never go above those marks with the shield, I normally line them up with the rubber trim, as a point of reference.

You can try releasing the two clamps and with gloves on and with the palm of your hand bump down on the shield fairly hard, not real hard but a good bump. If it will not move up or down, the ratchet assembly is messed up, the little V shaped piece that slides in the ratchet may be out of place, or even a screw fell out of the backing plate on one side or the other.

A drop of loc-tite is good on those screws, just a tiny one not a lot.

You can remove the shield and slip the ratchet assembly back in track, but if parts have vibrated out and fallen, might as well be off to the dealer . No one else has them.

Kit

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

There are several flat rubber pieces on the metal flat piece that the screen sits up againt and if one of these has become unstuck(lost) then the screen will be loose on that side ,You need to go to the dealer and get him to take of the garnish and look at the rubber flat pieces to see if they are all there and in place ,I came across this problem a few times ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Like Wexy said the rubber does fall out. It happened to mine, I took off the garnish and there it was. I glued it back on it's plate and that tightend the shield right up.

Don't know if thats your problem but it's pretty easy to check.

Tom

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I have a '03 1800 and I can lock my shield in any position from the lowest to the highest, or any where in between. it sounds like you do have a problem, if you have warranty, take it to the dealer. if not it's not a bad problem to fix.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Problem solved. Thanks for everybody's input.

The right side was not clamping down as tight as the left side. All rubber padswere fine and in the properlocations, linkages and hardware appeared fine. When the locking lever was at the tightest position just short of all the way down the windshield was firmly in place. I bent the windshield holder plate slightly on the right side to compensate. Appx less than 1/32 inch on the end.Just a guess but, I think it could have been caused if somebody leaned on or walked into the windshield.:?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.