Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a new GL1800P in August of 2008, now it wont start. It cranks, but will not actually start. In my basic troubleshooting, the brake lights, hornand turn indicicators aren't working either. I have checked all of the fuses, even "swapped" the relays and still have the same issues.Has anyone else ran into this?

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Kit Carson is the resident guru for the gl1800 and he will probably be here shortly to help.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well we know it cranks, but we do not know if you have the kill switch on or off, although the horn, lights and signals will work even with the kill switch off. But there can always be more than one situation.

Check the kill switch.

I still think you have a fuse situation. When you take the cover off the fuse panel you will see number 4 fuse has a slightly clear light purple cover and it is about 1/2 inch square. It is a special 30 amp fuse and if it is burned out, exactly what you describe occurs. It is a dealer item, never have seen that fuse even at Napa.

Check all the fuses with a meter, just because they look good, does not mean they are all the time. Also when you pull a fuse check across the fuse box contacts to see if you have power, if not this would indicate a loose connection or maybe a loss of ground to the panel box. With the brake lights, horn and signals etc all not working, I fully suspect it is centered at the fuse panel. If all this checks out we will head for the ignition.

Kit

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the welcome and the help, I need it.

On this 1800 if the kill switch is in the off position, the starter doesn't engage. I checked the fuses but only visually, but I did pull the 30 amp fuse and with it out, nothing at all happens, not even the lights for the guages or the guages themselves power up. I heard a rumor (from the guy at the dealership) that on these newer 1800's that if there is a light problem, there is a built in safety item that will stop the engine from starting, that's why I checked the lights and horn. All of the other lightsincluding the emergency flashers still work. I went through the manual and tried to find one place where the turn indicators, the brake lights and the horn were are common, I didn't find anything, I amprobably looking in the wrong place in the manual.

I'll use a meter tomorrow (I have to find it in the truck tool box) and check all of the fuses and check for the voltage as you recommended. I do appreciate all the help!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well do not know of this safety device, with the lights. Never heard of it. Hey when you are playing with it tomorrow and you turn the key on listen for the fuel pump to come up. You will be able to hear it come on and pump for a few seconds. If the fuse to that circuit is gone that could cause lack of fuel.

We will figure it out, an engine only requires, spark and fuel and air, it will run.

If with the fuse in you have all lights, I am not sure if you do, it can also be the actual starter switch, they sit and get corroded or somehow get glazed and do not make proper contact. They will sometimes actually fire when you release the button. Battery will need to be hot too for it to fire. Much under 11 volts it will not fire the ignition hot enough to fire. Many things, lets see how the fuse thing works. When you have the meter out, check the battery voltage, listen for the fuel pump, all that. Will give us some more hints.

If simple things do not fire it, could be a direct ground short in the wire harness, if so , take it to the dealer. It will be under warranty. Try working the ignition switch on and off a few times too. Be specific about what lights come on or not, what works or not, with all known good fuses installed. Page 26-4 in the manual will show you the fuses, and page 28-4 the relays.

Kit

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Kit,

I do appreciate all the help! I'll post what I find tomorrow evening.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
When you take the cover off the fuse panel you will see number 4 fuse has a slightly clear light purple cover and it is about 1/2 inch square. It is a special 30 amp fuse and if it is burned out, exactly what you describe occurs. It is a dealer item, never have seen that fuse even at Napa.
I was at an AutoZone a couple days ago looking for a fuse. They had some square fuses on their display rack. First time I ever saw one. Didn't even take time to notice what amp range it was.

So, it seems they are beginning to trickle "out there" to where we can find them.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Out of curiosity, I just went out and tried to start mine with the kill switch in the off position. I guess I am just lucky not to have brushed it into the off position as yet!!:shock:

Indeed on the 1800, there is no engine cranking, all that I got was the headlights and dash lights going dim or off and nothing else.

Just for information purposes only, as I am sorry this does not help you Duct Tape.:(

edited for spelling errors... fat fingers!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
imported post

Has someone installed a security system with engine disable? Most of them disable the fuel pump to stop the bike.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I checked, it only has the factory security on it.

I couldn't find my multi-meter, I'll have to stop by Radio Shack and pickanother oneup tomorrow.

SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has pretty much told me just to haul it to the shop, let them fix it under the warranty ....

WHERE"S THE FUN IN THAT!? ;)

Anyway, I'll keep trying, haven't given up yet...

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

'er in doors is probably right Duct Tape, if you do leave it to them to fix, I would let them haul it to the shop, since it is under warrenty, they shouldn't expect you to have to do that.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all the help! I really do appreciate it!
I finally gave up and hauled it to the dealer. They said they had seen it before, probably a "rodent" had made a nest in the wiring under the tank. Sure enough, that was what it was. They said that the Goldwings, ATV's and other bikes that that have a lot of plastic covers are targets for these "rodents" to get in and make nests, in my case they chewed though part of the wiring harness and a ground wire.
I think I'll trade in my dogs and get a couple of really hungry cats!
Again, thanks for all the help!
Respectfully,
DuctTape

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

That will do it for sure. :shock:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

DuctTape wrote:
I finally gave up and hauled it to the dealer. They said they had seen it before, probably a "rodent" had made a nest in the wiring under the tank. Sure enough, that was what it was. They said that the Goldwings, ATV's and other bikes that that have a lot of plastic covers are targets for these "rodents" to get in and make nests, in my case they chewed though part of the wiring harness and a ground wire.
Respectfully,
DuctTape
[align=center]Hey DuctTape :waving:

You are Very Welcome To The Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum
:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:
[/align]

[align=center]Its a known fact that rodents will only nest in The Slow Colours :18white::18yellow: :18blue:[/align]

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

DuctTape wrote:
Respectfully,
DuctTape
so in curiosity sake did they still cover under warrantee as this was not a honda problem????

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
DuctTape wrote:
Respectfully,
DuctTape
so in curiosity sake did they still cover under warrantee as this was not a honda problem????
+1, just what I was wondering. Also if it was not covered, could they just have blamed it on the mouse to get out warranty coverage when the poor little guy wasn't the problem?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I guess they had ran into that also, they took pictures of my bike and the wiring to show me. When they confirmed it was chewed wiring,they called me and let me know that Honda doesn't cover "rodent" damage. The billwas over $300 to get it fixed... but the ygave me a discount because I bought the bike there, came to $275. The good part is that I was able to ride today, onlyjust over 250 miles, but at least I am riding again!

I went to Boerne, TX, then took Hwy 46 to 281, then north to Blanco, then 165 from Blanco up to Hwy 290, on in to Austin then 71 up to 620. rode 620 over to Anderson Mill Rd then north in to Cedar Park, then 183 south to I-35 then back to San Antonio. The bike ran great!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

At least you are able to enjoy your bike again :)

And it does seem that the dealer was as fair with you as they could be. Considering that current labor rates are getting pretty close to a $100/hour in some places, they did okay by you.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I was expecting the cost to be about double what they charged me, so I am very happy with the final cost. They charge $35 per half hour, and I'm sure they spent more than 5 hours on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.