Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am a new Goldwing owner. Purchased a 2005 GL1800 and had floor boards installed. I now find that I am 1" too short. Fully realize I am not going to grow any taller at my age, so is there anyway I can lower the GL1800 by an inch or two? I have been told I may be able to replace the shocks; is this correct?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Another way to shorten the bike, is to buy a lower custom seat that will fit you better, and lower you at the same time. Hold on to your original seat, or sell it to help pay for your new one.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

The LOWRIDER
The Lowrider seat is designed for riders up to 6 ft tall and up to 250 lbs. The Lowrider will sit you one inch lower than your stock seat and in the same position to the handlebars, especially good for riders with short legs. We have sculptured the seat to give you more leg and thigh clearance for when your stopped, together with the lower seat position you will have much more feet support on the ground. The Lowrider is offered with our optional removable, fully adjustable and fold down rider backrest with removable pouch.

This is from the Ultimate Seat website:

http://www.ultimateseats.ca/goldwingGL1800.html

Is your suspension set at the lowest setting?

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

The cheapest way is to get some foam removed from your stock saddle. You can get at least 1.5" removed and the sadle will look just the same. There is no way to lower the GL1800 shocks (other than the electrical switch) that I know of.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks so very much for your help. I received two other responses with all of you suggesting the same basic solution.

I sincerely appreciate your response!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dan, thanks so much for your help. I will look into this as my solution.

I am am a new rider and new to this site! WOW, I like how members came to my aid!

Have a great day!

Joe

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for your help! This sounds like a very good and inexpensive solution. I will look into this as my first alternative, and thanks for the information about the shocks.

Joe

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey jag100 :waving: Your very welcome aboard and visit often. :clapper:Before you start changing your seat, :crying:the electric shock adjusters give about (1) one inch or more of up or down adjustment, :jumper:so just check that first. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Redwing - Thanks for your recommendation:action:.

I have read the manual, but did not see where the suspension height could be adjusted. I read it again. I am 5'7" and having a little trouble placing my feet flat on the ground. :shock:

:XDo I assume I should set the setting to "zero" rather than "10?"

Thanks for your help!:clapper:

JAG/

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey jag100 :waving: Yeah set it to Zero, and hold down the Memory (1) one button for a few seconds and thats it memorized :clapper: your feet should be almost flat on the ground at this setting. :weightlifter:If you carry a pillion passenger you might want to set the memory (2) two button to a different height. :jumper:Enjoy your new :18red:and have many safe (s)miles

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

jag100 wrote:
I am 5'7" and having a little trouble placing my feet flat on the ground.
Welcome to motorcycling! The Japanese think all we others are giants, so they designed the seat height too high.

Had to carve the seat foams out on several 1200s. Handy hint - carve out a hollow where the , umm, the "things" are and itll be more comfortable.:cool:You know, the "things." Things the passenger usually doesnt have.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Dave, thanks so much. I appreciate your recommendations.

I am so pleased with the response I have recieved from so many outstanding members!

Have a great week!

JAG100

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.