Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a 2008 1800 and left for a several thousand mile trip. I am experiencing what I think is excessive engine noise. It makes a rattling noise especially at slower speed while under load. It almost sound a like a diesel engine rattle. The bike had 11k on it when I started. Other than that it runs fine. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

What RPM is it making the noise? They will rattle if lugged even though they will pull at very low speed.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It is mostly when going through the first few gears -especially after riding a while. It really sounds like a diesel engine rattle. I did not notice the rpm but it was not excessive.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome ., you give very little info. on your new purchase so i would first change the oil/filter to proper specs.
If that dosent fix , take it back to place of purchase before your 30 day buyers warrenty is up.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

I took my 1800 to the dealer for the same thing. Will it do it when you let the clutch out with out moving and in the first 3 gears going up hills.and they say it is normal. it may not be right but it is normal

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

The 1800's are known to have injector noise. I've been riding them for 10 years now, so I'm kinda numb to their weird engine sounds. When I bought my first one in 2001, I remember hearing the injector noise and worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Bought it from an individual. Am beginning to suspect overheating even though the gage shows normal.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Experienced that with my '09 upon cold start up. Rattled very loudly for a minute or so until it warmed. When I switched to synthetic oil the noise faded, but was still there. Sold the bike because of it and now have a '10 that is silky smooth. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I see you are also from Fayetteville, there is a guy over on 19-41 that is very good when it comes to working on Wings, he owned Planet Goldwing over by the race track for a long time, if you can't get it figured out I would let him take a look at it for you....

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

I have a 2006 Honda goldwing and I am running a 50/50 oil in mine because I was told that a full synthetic will burn out the clutch plates faster. Also, I have 66,000 miles on it and another winger told me that a product called "Sea Foam" does great things for engine noise. I have tried it and it is running like it's brand new. Don't overdue it on this stuff but it's about an ounce to a gallon of fuel. Read the directions on the bottle but, it's realllll quiet now, Was before but this stuff did an amazing job of taking out a slight engine noise.

·
Trike Master
1,248 Posts
imported post

redgoldwing06 wrote:
I have a 2006 Honda goldwing and I am running a 50/50 oil in mine because I was told that a full synthetic will burn out the clutch plates faster. Also, I have 66,000 miles on it and another winger told me that a product called "Sea Foam" does great things for engine noise. I have tried it and it is running like it's brand new. Don't overdue it on this stuff but it's about an ounce to a gallon of fuel. Read the directions on the bottle but, it's realllll quiet now, Was before but this stuff did an amazing job of taking out a slight engine noise.
Whomever told you that knows very little about various oils!

Full synthetic oil is fine for the Wing. Must be a non-energy conserving type for the clutch.

Same story about Sea Foam quieting engines! Might help clean the injector system and that's about it! But then I wonder what would make an injector system dirty:?

To the OP- Shift to a lower gear and keep your RPM's @ 2,000 or above-you are most likely lugging the motor and that is not a good thing!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

hope it aint the alt dampener clip ring thingy on the inside...might get worse...at idle gets very loud...eng pull job...but maybe fixed by 08...research it out...soon...my buddys 02 had it and it was this...big repair job(warranty)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.