Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently puchased a 2008 GL1800 A and noticed that the kilometers recoreded on the odometer do not match the trip meter. Also the trip calculated by "Google Maps" and RACQ trip planner and the on -board GPS are all within a few kilometers of each other. However, the odometer overread by 140km on a 757km trip. I have reported this to Honda Australia and the response was that it was normal to have up to 10% variation.
Has anyone else experieced this problem and if so what recourse do I have to have this remedied.
When one pays in excess of $AU40,000 for a "top-of-the-range bike you don't expect this type of built-in error.
Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Other than this anomally the bike is superb

Regards
Enjay

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Enjay wrote:
I recently puchased a 2008 GL1800 A  and noticed that the kilometers recoreded on the odometer do not match the trip meter. Also the trip calculated by "Google Maps" and RACQ trip planner and the on -board GPS are all within a few kilometers of each other.  However, the odometer overread by 140km on a 757km trip. I have reported this to Honda Australia and the response was that it was normal to have up to 10% variation.
Has anyone else experieced this problem and if so what recourse do I have to have this remedied.
When one pays in excess of $AU40,000 for a "top-of-the-range bike you don't expect this type of built-in error.
Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Other than this anomally the bike is superb

Regards
Enjay
Welcome to the best goldwing forum on the web.

Most goldwings where around 5% out due to tyre sizing at the rear although I thought 08 and 09 where fixed. I would suggest a check of the tyre pressures - 39 front and 42 rear. The trip meter and "odo" should register the same as they are driven by the same circuitry. If not then a connector maybe loose or the connection at the battery terminals.

I suggest you find a good dealership who you can work with. There is a device called a "yellow box" that can adjust this error.

Keep us posted on your outcomes :coollep:

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

That's the fist time I've heard of the trip meter and odometer disagreeing. That is an 18% error so the dealer's statement that 10% error is normal doesn't fly either. I don't mind a little error but that is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

:(I have a 08 wing and its a California bike, My speedo is off about 4 miles per hr at 100 . They say that is normal, if I put a 70 series tire on the rear they say it will bring the numbers in line. I haven't check to see if there is a difference in speedo and miles:baffled:Good Luck ,You should contact Honda your self and askthem tohelp :?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Many thanks for all your replies. I will contact Honda Australia Head office and see if their technical department can throw any light on the subject. The local Honda dealer assures me that there is no remedy for this problem. I should ask them about the "Yellow Box"?

Regards
Enjay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.