Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anyone know where the cruise control ECU is on the bike have a gl1500 se 1993

·
Registered
991 Posts
Under the trunk. They are pretty robust, most issues can be traced to the myriad of switches and sensors going to it.
What seems to be the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It came from japan so the cruise control is set at 80 kms it won't go over I got another one from the states have fingers crossed it will work

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wow, no idea about that, but if not there are many threads here about fooling the cruise by changing the gear position sensor pins so it thinks you are in 4th gear. This was to get around the 80 mph limit on US versions. No idea if Japanese are wired differently. There was a cruise change right about then that switched from speedometer input to engine rpm input to smooth it out. Any idea which one you have?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't just went on site for ECU cruise control for the year and model it just seams wears as its made in the states it's got made in usa all over it

·
Registered
991 Posts
I hope it works for you. If not it might take a Canadian or European one that works with kmh. Or maybe the gear position hack will do it, if yours is the rpm driven version. If not, there is an Australian company that makes a speed signal adjuster called the Yellow box that people with the speedo driven cruise units have used to get around the speed limits imposed by Honda.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
the Cruise Control works off of Engine RPM on the 1500s.

do the mod to switch the 4th gear, and 5th gear inputs.
that will trick the ECM into thinking that the bike is running in 4th gear, and still give you the correct RPM for the max limit... only with the tranny in 5th gear, the actual speed for USA bikes is 100+
been too many years since I owned a 1500, don't recall the actual limit anymore.
but I like to run at 80mph with the cruise set, and it will do that, in fact it will lock at 88 mph for fact.

·
Registered
991 Posts
the Cruise Control works off of Engine RPM on the 1500s.
Only 93 and later, at least for US models.

"Beginning in 1993, all GL1500 rocker arms pivoted on needle bearings, and the cruise control was updated to directly read crankshaft speed for enhanced precision."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Under the trunk. They are pretty robust, most issues can be traced to the myriad of switches and sensors going to it.
What seems to be the problem?
Just as an aside, while acknowledging the accuracy of your statement, when I got my new to me 1500 the cruise control wasn't working. I went through the troubleshooting protocol by checking the pins at the cruise control. All checked out ok and it turned out that the circuit board on the cruise unit was cracked. I managed to solder jumpers across all the circuit breaks and also reinforce the board and it has worked since. Meanwhile I bought a replacement just in case. The info regarding speed limits is good - thanks

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
The vacuum hose on the left side going to the Cruise Valve is a suspect part. It collapses inside. Pull the hose off the cruise and try to blow thru it. If it's not an easy thing to blow thru replace the hose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts