Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i used a 80-90 on my 1500 and looking at cyclemax they have a 85-140???

i tought i read the honda manual and they mentioned a 90??? am i wrong?

which one would work better??

thanks

filippo

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
imported post

The GL1500 transmission and engine oil are in the same crankcase system.

Unless you are talking about the rear differential case, that is a typical 80-90 gear oil.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
The GL1500 transmission and engine oil are in the same crankcase system.

Unless you are talking about the rear differential case, that is a typical 80-90 gear oil.
yeeeeeep i am talking about the rear one!

so why cyclemax shows a 140?? would it be smother???

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I'd stay with the 80 - 90 wt The heaver fluid may cause lube problems
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I questioned Cyclemax about this and they definitely recommend the heavier oil. I was told it was from advice from a gob of Honda mechanics. I've been using the heavier stuff for 10,000 miles or so with no obvious ill effects.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
I questioned Cyclemax about this and they definitely recommend the heavier oil. I was told it was from advice from a gob of Honda mechanics. I've been using the heavier stuff for 10,000 miles or so with no obvious ill effects.
Probably fine in summer but what happens when you ride at near freezing temperatures?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

My experiences with 80-90 and 140 hypoid oil in the rear of an 1100 indicate DO NOT USE 140 unless the ambient temperature is consistently high.

At about 80 F the 140 oil has a tendency to creep up the fill hole breather and come out and with the back wheel turning soon this hypoid oil will be all over the hub, the wheel and traveling into the rear brake.

A flush out and replacement with 80/90 wt solved the problem. Why did I use it? That was all that was available at that time. Big mistake, big mess, big clean up.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
imported post

Like others here indicates, I'd stay away from the 140 if temps are getting close to freezing point. Talking of that, we got our first snow for the season here today.
:?

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Gullvingen wrote:
Like others here indicates, I'd stay away from the 140 if temps are getting close to freezing point. Talking of that, we got our first snow for the season here today.
:?
Levanger? Where is it? My norvegian relatives are in branbu... Close to gran area... Uppeland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.