Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just completed a trip which included a trip eastbound across the "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier National Park.

SPectacular scenery but ...

about 1/2 the route is under construction and for eastbounders there is a couple of hours of stop n go all on rising slopes. definitely not fun loaded 2 up.

My GL1500 is an 88 with 100,000 miles and it got hot (almost all the way to the right side red line on the temp gauge) but did not boil over as I was babying it at every opportunity. At the time I wasn't sure if it was age related or just that tough a situation for the cooling system.

I did hear about some other GL riders that had boil overs so I concluded it wasn't an issue related to my bike.

anyway if you are going that way take the pass east to west which will at least have all the stop and go on the downslope and the engine will be allowed to cool each time you get to move for a little while till the next one lane.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I have to figure that if my wing can endure daily riding in our 77th consecutive day of triple digit temps, with highs ranging around 105 to 107 and text indexes up to 113... riding in Montana shouldn't cause too many issues.

Deadly hot down here!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

We lost a friend riding that road last year when a drunk indian woman crossed the center line and hit him head on.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

As to overheating: when I had my '83 Venture,

used a toggle switch to bypass the radiator temperature sensor,

allowing fans to run continuously when needed.

Worked really nice in stop & go traffic...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I had been up that road in the 70's, so when I revisited it a couple of years ago, I knew enough to go East to West, all down hill. The only way to travel "going to the sun" road.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

We were there not quite 2 weeks ago:

Even got a shot of the construction ;

We had to wait about 10 minutes but it was OK, sitting in traffic was when I shot this Pic:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

We did the road East to West on July 25 this year. I had done the road before so I knew enough to do it that way. The road did not open until July 13 this year account the high snow loads from the winter.

Unfortunately that day was miserable at the top, just above freezing, rain and mist blowing in from the North and as usual a traffic jamb at the visitors centre.

We did not even stop at Logans Pass, all we wanted to do was get off the mountain.

The construction stops weren't to long or hard, but we were on the downslope.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's confirmed. I went through there on July 16 early in the morning with the intent on back tracking for more pictures. Forget that plan. All my gravel roads were muddy for sure. How about the one laners going up the muddies? But still one of the best parks on my trip out to NASSIR and back.

Learned a lot on riding the Beast on gravel and muddy roads this trip too. Guess what?? I have a hell lot more to learn. Did two of the 14ers Pikes and Evens on the trip too. Altitude sickness in both places. No more of that stuff for me.

All things considered, this still is my best trip and will chalk up some 10K when back to FL. Be here in MI until last week in Aug. and down through NC to home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.